Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dbeitler
New Contributor III

fortigate ips sensor when protocol is selected, and traffic uses a nonstandard port

Located this, in the docs regardng FortiProxy.

"Application control uses IPS protocol decoders that can analyze network traffic to detect application traffic even if the traffic uses nonstandard ports or protocols."

I am assuming that when I have an IPS sensor configured that specifies, for example, the SSH protocol, it does not care what port the traffic is using. But inspects the traffic to identify the SSH protocol.

Is there somewhere in the docs this is noted, for more than FortiProxy?

3 REPLIES 3
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

According to some test I've done, FG's IPS blocks the known attack even on a non-standard port.

Here is the performed test:

• Sun.Solaris.Telnet.Remote.Authentication.Bypass on a telnet server listening on standard port 23 -> Attack blocked
  • Sun.Solaris.Telnet.Remote.Authentication.Bypass on a telnet server listening on non-standard port 10023 -> Attack blocked

Edit: Redoing tests and coming back.

AEK
AEK
HarshChavda
Staff
Staff
rionelo
New Contributor

If a detection can be made on the unencrypted parts (certificate, SNI, some initial headers during the unencrypted part of a handshake that establishes encryption, ...), then such signature will work without deep-inspection.

https://omegle.onl/ vshare
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors