Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Arnold
New Contributor

custom 3g modem

Hi

I configured a Custom modem but i'ts not detected by fortigate

FortiOS v5.2.0,build0589

Vendor: ZTE Vodafone

Model: K4505-Z

Vendor ID: 0x13

Product ID: 0x65

Init String: blank

am I missing an Inist string if so, how do I get it?

I got the info using:

fnsysctl cat /proc/bus/usb/devices   

T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 8 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1 P: Vendor=19d2 ProdID=0101 Rev= 0.00 S: Manufacturer=Vodafone (ZTE) S: Product=Vodafone Mobile Broadband K4505-z S: SerialNumber=P680A2VDFD010000 C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=(none) E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=02 Cnt=02 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1 P: Vendor=1307 ProdID=0310 Rev= 1.00 S: Manufacturer=Generic S: Product=Mass Storage Device S: SerialNumber=00000000000006 C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=125us E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

MCSE

MCSE
17 REPLIES 17
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Beware - the page from linuxformat.com is about the Huawei K4505. We are talking about the ZTE K4505-z.

This is apparent from both vendor ID and product ID.

Selective, do you have any infos on the FortiExtender's CLI? I know it's a BusyBox so it can't be all magic...then I will try to define a custom modem on the FEX.

Actually, as my stick doesn't have an SD card inserted, I don't think the mode-switch is necessary. It's just that the dial command or the init string do not fit.

here's the file /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/19d2:0101:

# Vodafone (ZTE) K4505-Z
TargetVendor=  0x19d2
TargetProduct= 0x0104
StandardEject=1
OK, the productID is not the same...needs editing?

Am I glad that I know vi...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Arnold
New Contributor

tried the init string just for luck, those not work ;/

MCSE

MCSE
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

if I can inject. I

f you want to spend less time using the diagnostics within the fortigate, use a linux/unix host and a screen/mincom or similar and issues the commands and initilization strings from a terminal. You could easy use a ppp-chat to check all functions from dialup , ppp-neg, authentication,etc.....

I believe to get the cd-modem disable, you needs to use & set it as value #1 to  this.

AT+ZCDRUN?

AT+ZCDRUN=1

If you wikipedia 3g AT commands there  use be a generic website of  all common, generic and mfg'er support commands sets. I found doing all my AT commands diagnostics on my mac or linux , has  created less frustration with getting things to work on Fortigate.

I hope that helps.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Sorry for late reply,

@Ede - Sorry but I haven´t tested the Extender yet, but I think the busybox just contains more init-str than the FortiGate.

I remember that I found the modem list file with the command  "fnsysctl cat /etc/modem_list.conf"

You might try that command on the extender.

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

quite unbelievable but this is still under investigation. I've got a case open with TAC which now is elevated to L2. My case is twofold: one, the modem was not detected (solved) and two, the FortiExtender doesn't work (FEX-20B).

I got the modem to switch over using the Vodafone software on a PC - as simple as that. Once switched, the stick stays in modem mode. I can use AT commands on it etc. and it even dials out if directly attached to a FGT (on FOS 5.2.2).

Because of that last-effort-before-I-ditch-the-damn-stick method I am sorry that I cannot provide an init string. But, as this has been stale for a couple of weeks now, I will have a closer look at the usb-switch.conf file on the FEX. Maybe I can dig up an init string anyway.

TAC has published an intermediate patch release of the FEX firmware which helped but did not go all the way. I will continue to post the progress here.

Ede

triton_rh_FTNT

okay if you can find the working init-string let me know.

meanwhile to get pass device detection stage1 problem: we will install the Vodafone Mobile Broadband Software for Windows7. I presumed that was what you were using (successfully)  - and insert it to the Win7 PC and let's see if modem can switch-over, as u said that easy as 1-2-3!! and should remain in that state without switching back to storage class device. this could be a temporary solution.

https://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity...

note: the ZTE K4505-z is not in my hands physically but in Vodafone IN customer site.

VMB software RC1 release note PDF: lists K4505-z as supported by all flavous of windows. looks like cdc_ethernet, NDIS wwan and direct serial COM port drivers are also supported by the windows kernel. the init-string could be either hardcoded in the associated .sys driver files or specified in the associated .inf files in the installed driver directory. so I am also looking into the .inf files too.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You have the custom modem defined but the dial is not working, have you tried

diag debug reset

diag debug enable

diag debug application modemd -1

or stick it in a linux/windown terminal program and execute the exact same init strings and at cmds followed by a atdt < insert the  suspect dial#>

Than you can check the ppp chat just like in linux  & it might give some clues

e.g

modemd: modem state changed: 3(connected) -> 4(hangingup) modemd: modem_ppp_stop:486 primary ipcp: down ppp:0x32004000 tun: (nil) ref 0 modemd: primary PPP link is down. modemd: run_state_machine state 4(hangingup) modemd: modem state changed: 4(hangingup) -> 0(uninit) modemd: run_state_machine state 0(uninit) modemd: modem state changed: 0(uninit) -> 1(inactive) modemd: Launch modem due to auto-dial. modemd: Begin dialing: redials left = 99999 modemd: dev=/dev/ttyusb0 tel=*99# modemd: modem state changed: 1(inactive) -> 2(dialing) chat: abort on (BUSY) chat: abort on (NO DIAL TONE) chat: abort on (NO DIALTONE) chat: abort on (NO ANSWER) chat: abort on (ERROR) chat: send (atz^M) chat: expect (OK) chat: atz^M^M chat: OK chat:  -- got it chat: send (ath0^M) chat: abort on (NO CARRIER) chat: expect (OK) chat: ^M chat: ath0^M^M chat: OK chat:  -- got it chat: send (ats7=60^M) chat: timeout set to 60 seconds chat: expect (OK) chat: ^M chat: ats7=60^M^M chat: OK chat:  -- got it chat: send (atdt*99#^M) chat: expect (CONNECT) chat: ^M chat: atdt*99#^M^M chat: CONNECT chat:  -- got it chat: send (^M) modemd: modem_ppp_start:415 primary

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Correct, I was using the VMB as offered on their website, running under Win 7SP1. Straight forward, no tricks. Connection was established the moment I entered the PIN.

This also proved that the signal strength is sufficient in the middle of the room (something that TAC had doubts about).

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors