Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fenixryan
New Contributor

bulk import blows up creating IP addresses

Hi sorry if I'm covering old ground but I come across this problem with fortios 3 through to 5.

I have to create a mass amount of addresses to distinguish sites. These are imported from a .csv extract using powershell to build the text file. This seems to work, I cannot say the exact limit, but if the file is say 100 lines script runs fine.

After 100 or more the script aborts a seems to truncate one of the commands.

I also get a error when trying to use the GUI to but at present we are without analyser to see what exactly happened.

If I copy and paste sections of 100 lines via ssh putty all is ok.

There seems to be a hard limit on the number of lines the batch importer can process, I was wondering if this could be overwritten

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I personally never seen this behavior and have import 1k of lines (set) from WebGUI.

Are you 100% sure  the import file is "edit" correctly? My last big FGT shop I consulted in a had a script maker and they has script that blow up since an extra "edit" was in  the address book  :)  It took us a few days to find out what happen but it broke a lot of the automation.

Either way use the "exec batch lastlog" from the cli and look for any errors that have been reported. This might shed some light.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
fenixryan

Hi Ken cheers for the reply, but unlike you my experience has always seen issues importing large files.

I will look through the files and thanks for the CLI command to look at the logs. Will have a look tomorrow as I've still got a big address list to import.

Can you answer me a question though, do you put any formatting in your file, i.e. spaces to tab entries. Also can you give me a example of your file (obviously anonymised :))

I will report back tomorrow on how I get on.

Jus

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No formatting, the command post earlier will help diagnose issues with batch imports. I've used simple  shell scripting for formatting  similar to below link.

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2012/11/fortigate-firewall-cfg-script-to-speed.html

cheers

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau

I've imported some 4000+ addresses and 100+ address groups on a FG-310B running v4.3.18, without a hitch.

Before you can use 1000+ addresses, you have to assign them to one or more address groups (IIRC it's 500 addresses per group).

You could do this for debugging:

- open a ssh session

- type 'diag deb ena', 'diag deb cli 7' to activate CLI debugging

- as each line in your import file will cause at least one output line, log to a file

- now import the batch file

If there is a fault in the import data, you'll see it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
fenixryan

Cheers for the info both still blowing up doing my nut in. @ede the device I'm setting up is a 100d 5.2.6 this has a 300 address group according to online documentation.

I will try the debug output though cheers for steering in that direction.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors