Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nanashi
New Contributor III

Why can FortiGate communicate with FortiGuard ?

Hi,

On FortiGate, an IPsec Tunnel is configured to the AWS site-to-site VPN, which is the only configuration to communicate to the outside.

However, I have found some internet-service-name configs(ISDB) unintentionally rewrote like FortiGuard synchronized updates.

I wonder why this FortiGate can communicate with FortiGuard under the condition that IPsec Tunnel to the AWS site-to-site VPN is the only way and.

The configuration is like this:
---
config firewall policy
edit 1
set srcintf "LAN"
set dstintf "AWS_Tunnel"
set action accept
set srcaddr "all"
set dstaddr "all"
set schedule "always"
set service "ALL"
---

I would really appreciate if anyone gives an advice.

Thank you,

1 Solution
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Are you asking how Fortigate communicate with Fortiguard even though you don't have a policy to allow that?

if that's the question, then the fortiguard communication is a system generated/originated traffic and it don't require a firewall policy, it just needs the active route.  The firewall policy is for traffic passing through the firewall not for the traffic originated or destined to the device.

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Claud
New Contributor

the reason why this FortiGate can communicate with FortiGuard under the condition that IPsec Tunnel to the AWS site-to-site VPN is the only way is because of the firewall policy configuration that allows traffic from the LAN network to be transmitted over the VPN tunnel.

Barcode Label Maker By : https://www.barcodelabelmaker.org
Barcode Label Maker By : https://www.barcodelabelmaker.org
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Are you asking how Fortigate communicate with Fortiguard even though you don't have a policy to allow that?

if that's the question, then the fortiguard communication is a system generated/originated traffic and it don't require a firewall policy, it just needs the active route.  The firewall policy is for traffic passing through the firewall not for the traffic originated or destined to the device.

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

nanashi
New Contributor III

Suraj,

Your reply has cleared all my questions.

Thank you for your reply!!

nanashi
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.

But, according to the configuration, the transmission over the IPsec VPN tunnel is limited to AWS site-to-site VPN, not FortiGuard.

Thank you,

nanashi
New Contributor III

Suraj,

Your reply has cleared all my questions.

Thank you for your reply!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors