Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
efenderbosch
New Contributor

Where are Linux configs stored?

I've uninstalled with:

• sudo apt-get remove forticlient
  • sudo rm -rf /var/lib/forticlient
  • rm -rf ~/.config/FortiClient

But when I re-install, all my old configs are there and the "restore" button is greyed out, even after I authenticate for elevated privileges. How can I wipe out the stored config so I can start over with a new settings import?

Version: forticlient_vpn_7.2.2.0753_amd64.deb on Ubuntu 20.

edit: fixed by clearing file system caches

• sudo sync
  • sudo sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3

Then reinstalled with apt-get. No settings were present and I was able to use the restore button to import the config.

1 REPLY 1
Markus_M
Staff
Staff

Hi efenderbosch,

as I understand it is fixed for you as per your edit. I would actually go a different route. Instead of "apt-get remove", use "apt-get purge".

The first one, "remove" - removes the installation but leaves the configuration.

"purge" removes the configuration as well. See the manual page of apt (man apt), last line:

install, reinstall, remove, purge (apt-get(8))
           Performs the requested action on one or more packages specified via regex(7), glob(7) or exact match. The requested action can be overridden for specific packages by
           appending a plus (+) to the package name to install this package or a minus (-) to remove it.

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by following the package name with an equals (=) and the version of the package to select. Alternatively the
           version from a specific release can be selected by following the package name with a forward slash (/) and codename (bullseye, bookworm, sid ...) or suite name (stable,
           testing, unstable). This will also select versions from this release for dependencies of this package if needed to satisfy the request.

Removing a package removes all packaged data, but leaves usually small (modified) user configuration files behind, in case the remove was an accident. Just issuing an
           installation request for the accidentally removed package will restore its function as before in that case. On the other hand you can get rid of these leftovers by calling
           purge even on already removed packages. Note that this does not affect any data or configuration stored in your home directory.

or here at the manpages at ubuntu.com 

I hope this helps. Otherwise, ~/.config/FortiClient contains the config.

Best regards,

Markus

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors