Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
oliver1
New Contributor II

VPN installation on Linux - dependency problem

Hi, I'm trying to install the Fortinet VPN client on Linux but it doesn't work.

The .deb package has a dependency on libappindicator1, which seems to have been deprecated quite a while ago and is thus impossible to install.

Are people actually using FortiClient VPN on Linux? How do you do it?

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

ok tested it on a test vm running Q4OS 4.8.

On that vm I have a running FortiClient 7.0.3 now.

I achieved that this way:

1. download debian buster libappindicator1 and libindicator7 debs from packages.debian.org.

1.2. download forticlient deb

2. install all three with sudo dpkg -i with all three deb as parameters or download them all into the same dir and do sudo dpkg -i *.deb

3. it will complain about some missing deps so execute a sudo apt-get -f install afterwards to install the missing packages and finish the installation of the packages from step 2

worked fine on my test vm here. I can now start FortiClient on it.

The link to buster libappindicator1 is in my posting above. The the dependency list of that lib contains a link to libindicator7.

Hope you get it running too!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
11 REPLIES 11
Sadullah

You guided me @sw2090 , I didn't have any idea of dependency packages in ubuntu 22.04.

I checked libappindicator1 in my ubuntu 22.04 and it has already installed then I checked libindicator7 but I couldn't find any package with this name in both debian and ubuntu packages. Flash light fired in my mind and begin to search a package in ubuntu 22.04 jammy package pages which contain a keyword "vpn" in its description.

Bingo!!!

Installed "libopenconnect5" package

sudo apt-get install libappindicator1 libopenconnect5

then I reinstalled forticlient ..deb file

sudo dpkg -i package-name.deb && sudo apt install -f

reboot PC and that works.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

probably this will work in debian buster and various other distributions based on debian that don't natively provide libappindicator1 too.

the current Ubuntu and Lubuntu still provide libappindicator1 natively.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors