Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
network4all
New Contributor

Using EMAC VLAN with diagnose sniffer packet

Hi Guru's,

I'm capturing traffic using 'diagnose sniffer packet' on an Enhanced MAC VLAN-Interface.

The capture contains the proper mac-address from the VDOM. However, when I capture on the client side, it seems that mac address has changed to a different address. I think it's the 'di hardware deviceinfo nic emac-vlan' -> Current_HWaddr address, probably inserted by the EMacvlan Ethernet driver.

Is this correct behaviour and is it possible to retain the original VDOM mac-address? Because this breaks our source based mac forwarding on the loadbalancer.

Regards!

1 Solution
Kangming

This is an internal bug. If your environment is NP7+HA+EMAC_VLAN+VIP, and the phenomenon is that the MAC of EMAC_VLAN will change (one session/traffic will have multiple MAC addresses of EMAC_VLAN), then it matches this bug.  Will be fixed in 7.0.12GA/7.2.5GA/7.4.0GA.

Thanks

Kangming

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pgautam
Staff
Staff

Hi Team,

Thank you for posting your query.

FortiGate implements an enhanced version of MAC VLAN where it adds a MAC table in the MAC VLAN which learns the MAC addresses when traffic passes through.

FortiGate implements an enhanced MAC VLAN consisting of a MAC VLAN with bridge functionality. Because each MAC VLAN has a unique MAC address, virtual IP addresses (VIPs) and IP pools are supported, and you can disable Source Network Address Translation (SNAT) in policies.

Please check the implementation example:- 

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.14/cookbook/212317/enhanced-mac-vlans

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.4/administration-guide/212317/enhanced-mac-vlan

Regards

Priyanka

Kangming
Staff
Staff

Hi

May I know your device model? There are some differences between NP6 and NP7 devices.

Did you use VIP? Or is it just the MAC address of the interface?

Thanks

Kangming

network4all
New Contributor

Device model is a 1800F which is a NP7?

We are using VIPs on the F5 with Source Mac Routing (default settings "auto last hop"), which breaks when we replace the interfaces with emacs. When the F5 returns website traffic, the root vdom drops the traffic, probably because the traffic is returned to the wrong destination mac address. 

With Mac Routing the F5 ignores the routing table, and just returns traffic from the source mac it originated from. Emacs seems to (at least in our setup) break the mac routing.

Kangming

Hi 

FGT1800F is NP7 device.

Actually, we already have an internal bug 0820268 working on it, and the issue has been fixed on 7.0.12 and V7.2.5, but need to wait for the GA release.  FOS 7.2.5GA will be released in the next few weeks.

Thanks

Kangming

network4all

Can I find the bug description 0820268 somewhere? I would like to check if this is the problem we are running into. We now are thinking about giving every vdom it's own physical cables to work around the emacs issue.

Kangming

This is an internal bug. If your environment is NP7+HA+EMAC_VLAN+VIP, and the phenomenon is that the MAC of EMAC_VLAN will change (one session/traffic will have multiple MAC addresses of EMAC_VLAN), then it matches this bug.  Will be fixed in 7.0.12GA/7.2.5GA/7.4.0GA.

Thanks

Kangming

Kangming

Each VDOM has a separate physical interface or a VLAN interface is a good method.

Thanks

Kangming

Kangming
Staff
Staff

V7.0.12GA has been released, please upgrade and try again.

Thanks

Kangming

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors