Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
oliver1
New Contributor II

VPN installation on Linux - dependency problem

Hi, I'm trying to install the Fortinet VPN client on Linux but it doesn't work.

The .deb package has a dependency on libappindicator1, which seems to have been deprecated quite a while ago and is thus impossible to install.

Are people actually using FortiClient VPN on Linux? How do you do it?

1 Solution
sw2090
Honored Contributor

ok tested it on a test vm running Q4OS 4.8.

On that vm I have a running FortiClient 7.0.3 now.

I achieved that this way:

1. download debian buster libappindicator1 and libindicator7 debs from packages.debian.org.

1.2. download forticlient deb

2. install all three with sudo dpkg -i with all three deb as parameters or download them all into the same dir and do sudo dpkg -i *.deb

3. it will complain about some missing deps so execute a sudo apt-get -f install afterwards to install the missing packages and finish the installation of the packages from step 2

worked fine on my test vm here. I can now start FortiClient on it.

The link to buster libappindicator1 is in my posting above. The the dependency list of that lib contains a link to libindicator7.

Hope you get it running too!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
11 REPLIES 11
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I am using Strongswan on Linux...

There used to be some Forum Post about how to configure it.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm debian buster and ubuntu 21.10 still do include libappindicator1 packages...

Which DIstribution do you run then?

-- 

oliver1
New Contributor II

Hi @sw2090, thanks for the response. I am using the Q4OS distro version 4.8.

Not sure which version of Debian that uses, but from my googling I believe libappindicator1 was deprecated in Bullseye, which is not all that old actually so that may explain it...

sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm Accoarding to https://packages.debian.org/buster/libappindicator1 it still exists in debian buster. Though it doesn't exist in Q4OS 4.8 anymore - at least in the package lists of O4OS that I found now.

You could try to use the buster package instead. The worst thing that can happen to you with that is that it refuses to install due to unmet dependencies ;)

I didn't find any info about on which debian version Q4OS 4.8 is based now...

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

I also might have found the sources of libappindicator1: https://salsa.debian.org/sim590-guest/libappindicator1

So you might also try to compile and install it from the source...

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

ok found that Q4OS 4.8 is based on debian bullseye

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

ok tested it on a test vm running Q4OS 4.8.

On that vm I have a running FortiClient 7.0.3 now.

I achieved that this way:

1. download debian buster libappindicator1 and libindicator7 debs from packages.debian.org.

1.2. download forticlient deb

2. install all three with sudo dpkg -i with all three deb as parameters or download them all into the same dir and do sudo dpkg -i *.deb

3. it will complain about some missing deps so execute a sudo apt-get -f install afterwards to install the missing packages and finish the installation of the packages from step 2

worked fine on my test vm here. I can now start FortiClient on it.

The link to buster libappindicator1 is in my posting above. The the dependency list of that lib contains a link to libindicator7.

Hope you get it running too!

-- 

oliver1
New Contributor II

Fantastic, that works! Thanks so much for your thorough followup.

By the way, in order to actually connect to a VPN, I also needed to install the gnome keyring:

sudo apt install gnome-keyring

since it is not installed in Q4OS by default, and I was getting this error whenever I entered my password:

"The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files"

BR_brunojlm88

Thanks for the information regarding the libs to be installed. It worked for me.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors