Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gwarek
New Contributor

URL filter " Allow" and " Monitor" issue

Hi, My problem is that if I want to use Web Filtering for allowing access to single web sites, the only working action in " Enable URL Filter" option is “Exempt”. If I switch to “Allow” or “Monitor” users can' t access requested pages. Can anyone help? edit: The device is: FG80C, Firmware ver. v5.2.0,build0589
10 REPLIES 10
Nihas
New Contributor

Is this a simple or wildcard expression? If it is simple, change to wildcard and give the expression as like *.domain.com, and see.
Nihas [\b]
Nihas [\b]
gwarek
New Contributor

Nihas, thank you for your answer. The expression seems to work correctly as if I keep the same expression (doesn' t matter simple or wildcard) and change only action from " Allow" or " Monitor" to " Exempt" users can access requested page. If I change the action from " Exempt" (keep expression unchanged) to " Allow" or " Monitor" the users can' t access the page.
FortiAdam
Contributor II

Are you using Fortiguard Categories along with the website filter list? I ran into a similar issue and eventually determined that even if you are allowing a site with the website filter, it can still be blocked based on the FTG category if you are using that as well. Exempt is the only way you can bypass the FTG category webfilter but it will also exempt the site from AV scanning and other UTM which may not be the intended result. Read your log entry closely to see if you can determine what is actually blocking the traffic. Order of web filtering based on 5.0.x documentation: 1. URL Filter (website filter list) 2. FortiGuard Web Filter Categories 3. Web Content Filter 4. Web Script Filter 5. AV Scanning
gwarek
New Contributor

I’m using Fortiguard Categories. I’m not sure what you mean by the ”website filter list”. If you’re referring to “URL filter” within “Web Filter”, then yes, I’m using Fortiguard Categories along with the website filter list. My idea was to use category for a whole bunch of websites and just exclude one particular website by using URL filter. Anyway, using “Exempt” is not an option for my from the reason you mentioned (bypass AV). So is it a bug in the Fortigate software or this is how it should work?
FatalHalt
Contributor II

So is it a bug in the Fortigate software or this is how it should work?
Apparently it' s how it' s supposed to work. It' s the same way in 5.0. It' s never made much sense to me though. If I set it to allow, allow the damn url through the webfilter portion, but still perform other UTM on it! It' s annoying.
Brady_R__Houser
New Contributor

I created a Ratings Override Category names Manual WhiteList. Then added the URL to this group. The group showed up in my Local Categories which I could then allow. Seems to work correctly for all the sites I' ve setup. I had issues with the Safe Site Filter , which isn' t available in the V4 devices anyway.
gwarek
New Contributor

This is some kind of workaround. I did the same on my Fortigate a time ago when I was really angry with Fortinet for what they did with “URL Filter”. In this scenario the only thing I’m not sure is if wildcards can be used. From the other site, even if there is a workaround it doesn' t mean that they should leave “URL Filter” as is now. In my opinion they should fix / change it in the way how most users expect and how FataHalt clearly expressed :)
newNetwork
New Contributor

Can anyone confirm if URL is actually allowd on " ALLOW" action in latest as of now release v5.2.1,build618 OR its still on workaround i.e to use EXEMPT
bmann
New Contributor

This behavior is intended and according to design, see documentation. If you use FortiGuard categories, then proper way to allow sites is to use local overrides. The " allow" in urlfilter is to allow the page on urlfilter list, for example you block all in urlfilter list, but allow only some sites.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors