Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Silver
New Contributor

Static url vs web overide vs Fortiguard Catergories

Dear All,

Anyone can explain to me about the precedence. If we are using the three option at the same time within the same policy what will take action first. If am right it will check static url first and follow by web overide.

Can anyone confirm to me

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Correct  in your assesment but it really depends on what your doing.

Example, we use the static URLs to allow just the listed sites & block everything in our K12  kinder school, but the specific action you place either by categories or static will apply, but the static is higher in  the picking order.

If you have a category such  as GeneralInterest >  Games and with an action of block, but you have one game website that either not listed, or is but have a static URL entry to allow, that particular site will be allowed.

The allow Override on the other hand is use to override a category that block and for user defined group. Going back to my education experience, this would be deployed for a teacher/principal. So they are not subject to categorization filtering.

So bottomline, you use then for different purposes and reasons.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors