Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fernando
New Contributor

Speed of our line goes down a lot

We have contract a new fibre optical data line with 300Mb symetrics, we have configured the fortinet mod. 60D with a policy and object like attached picture, with this configuration the speed of our line goes down a lot. (35Mb upload and 37Mb download)

Any sugestion for not lost our speed?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution
packetpusher
Contributor

Fernando, if you connect a laptop directly into the ISP equipment, do you get 300 Mbps symmetric? Then, place your laptop behind the Fortigate on the desired LAN port and measure again. Do you get the committed speed rates? From the Fortigate Web UI/ CLI check for speed and duplex mismatches. Finally, attach your configuration. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
packetpusher
Contributor

Fernando, if you connect a laptop directly into the ISP equipment, do you get 300 Mbps symmetric? Then, place your laptop behind the Fortigate on the desired LAN port and measure again. Do you get the committed speed rates? From the Fortigate Web UI/ CLI check for speed and duplex mismatches. Finally, attach your configuration. 

Thank you

Fernando

Fristly many thanks for your quickly answer.

I have done a changes in my configuration, I tell you...

If I disable in my policy the options: antivirus - application control and email control... I get the maximun spped (more or less) of my data line.( 285mb and 287Mb).

I think than I have the problem, in this configuration.

regards.

packetpusher

Great, now that you narrowed down the issue, the next step is to schedule a maintenance window and investigate your anti-virus and anti-spam profiles for configuration discrepancies. If you would like any further assistance just post your firewall configuration.

Thank you

Fernando

Thanks.

I'm going to open ticket with fortinet.

packetpusher

Thank you Fernando! If you haven't yet, feel free to mark this thread as "Answered". See the green button on the very top right hand side. 

Thank you

btp

FG60D is not up for the task in this scenario. We have run into the same limitation just by adding a shaper to the policy. As soon as the FG has to use the CPU for something, the throughput drops to around 100-120Mbps. Even if the shaper is set to for example 800Mbps.

So anything that is not hardware offloaded (shaper, inspection) will drain the resources. Now, the FG60E is a different story. It uses SoC3, and blows the 60D out of the water. My guess is that any small E-model (with SoC3) would be sufficient.

-- Bjørn Tore

-- Bjørn Tore
packetpusher

Also, it depends on what your security services setup look like,  i.e. AV in a proxy inspection mode takes more resource resources than AV in flow mode.

I am not so sure how better 60E vs 60D is but just a reminder they both fall into the entry level enterprise firewall categories. I think the added benefit is for the models 100E and above whereas the addition of multi-CPU and CP9 engines makes a real difference. 

FGT60D - specs

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiGate_FortiWiFi_60D_Series.pdf

FGT60E - specs

Firewall IPS NGFW Threat Protection Interfaces 3 Gbps (Firewall only) 400 Mbps (with IPS enabled) 250 Mbps (NGFW) 200 Mbps(ATP). Ref. https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiGate_FortiWiFi_60E_Series.pdf

Markus
Valued Contributor

Fernando, There is nothing wrong with your profiles. The 60D is to small for 300Mbs NGFW. If you want to do NGFW, you have to buy a bigger box, I suggest 80E. The 60D have NGFW troughput of 30 Mbs. Otherwise you have to disable AV (and SSL Inspection) as they drop down most.

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/Fortinet_Product_Matrix.pdf

Best,

Markus

________________________________________________________--- NSE 4 ---________________________________________________________
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors