Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SergY
New Contributor

Setup proxy DHCP for SSL VPN and backup DHCP if main DHCP not available

Hi,

I'm trying to find if it is possible.

I want to set up a proxy DHCP for SSL VPN connections, which is a pretty straight forward setup.

In a situation if/when my server with DHCP is down I need still be able to connect to VPN (FortiGate) and receive a proper IP address.

Is there a way to setup a "backup" DHCP server on Fortigate?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
imathew
Staff
Staff

Hi,

config system settings
set dhcp-proxy enable
set dhcp-server-ip "1.1.1.1" "2.2.2.2"
end

FOS does support multiple server IP addresses to be configured. 

Technical Tip: SSL VPN with external DHCP Server - Fortinet Community

Hope the above article answers your question.

Thanks.

Regards,
Inigo Mathew
SergY
New Contributor

Is there a way to make fortigate itself as a backup dhcp server?

srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

DHCP uses broadcast packet , when you say backup DHCP do you mean your primary DHCP is also in same subnet as Fortigate?

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

SergY

Yes.

I'm trying to imagine situation when I'm working remote and for some reasons my main dhcp server is down, so I still need to be able to connect to VPN and get ip address to fix my main dhcp. 

srajeswaran

I assume your setup is something like this .
PC------HomeRouter---------ISP-----------(SSL)Fortigate------OfficeLAN
In this case you will be getting IP from your home router , your DHCP request (DHCP discocover messages are sent to 255.255.255.255) will not reach fortigate via ISP .
Please correct me if I have misunderstood the scenario or topology

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

SergY

Yes you miss understood me. 

Regular connection to ssl VPN remotely to fortigate - I can setup proxy dhcp on fortigate. Situation when this proxy dhcp is down I still need to be able to get ip for my ssl VPN connection. 

srajeswaran

Thank you @SergY . Its clear now, lets assume we manage to configure DHCP server on one of the interface on fortigate and use that IP as the redundant server . There is no option to give priority to one of them primary and other one backup.
They both will be used and the client will get IP from the server who responds first and in this case it will be mostly from Fortigate.

Regards,

Suraj

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors