Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kkeane
New Contributor

SSL-VPN Web-only trying to connect to RDP server stuck at "configuring remote session"

I set up an SSL-VPN with a Web-only portal; I want users to be able to connect to internal servers using RDP. I created a bookmark for an internal terminal server.

The portal itself works fine. When I click on the bookmark, I get the usual Java security warnings, then RDP launches and reports "Configuring remote session" to 127.0.0.1:49152. RDP stays at that message and never connects. Eventually, the portal times out and logs out.

I've set up such an SSL-VPN before and got it to work with no problems, but can't figure out what I'm missing this time.

FortiOS 5.0 on a FGT 60D.

For my testing, the client is Windows 8.1 64 bit with Java 8 Update 45 and Java 7 update 75 both installed. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java are installed. I am using IE 11.

1 Solution
Christopher_McMullan

Would it be accurate to say you're using RDP-Native? If so, what is the impact of changing the bookmark to use Java-based RDP?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_McMullan

Would it be accurate to say you're using RDP-Native? If so, what is the impact of changing the bookmark to use Java-based RDP?

kkeane

Christopher McMullan_FTNT wrote:

Yes, your assumption is correct, I used RDP Native. When I use the Java-based RDP, I get an error message "Connection exception. SSL Negotiation failed. please check your Fortigate configuration". The computer I am trying to connect to uses the standard SSL self-signed certificate. I don't think the RDP Native implementation even gets to the point where it would check certificates; it seems to not even connect to port 3389 at all.

Christopher_McMullan

This is going to sound odd, but could you check to verify whether the destination address object in any ssl.<vdom> to internal policy is correctly defined for the resource you're trying to access?

I found one case where it was simply an ACL issue: the policy didn't allow the destination specified in the bookmark. This would apply equally to Java-based and native SSLVPN RDP connections.

kkeane

This is going to sound odd, but could you check to verify whether the destination address object in any ssl.<vdom> to internal policy is correctly defined for the resource you're trying to access?

I found one case where it was simply an ACL issue: the policy didn't allow the destination specified in the bookmark. This would apply equally to Java-based and native SSLVPN RDP connections.

Not odd at all. And in fact, I had completely forgotten the police from the ssl.root interface to internal. Unfortunately, that's not the only problem; even after adding it, the problem still persists.

kkeane

I found the problem. The ssl.<vdom> to internal policy actually isn't needed at all; it is only required for tunnel mode. I got it to work without this policy.

The real problem turned out with my sslvpn policy; I had specified the wrong destination interface (I had it as wan1 to ssl.root instead of wan1 to internal).

Thanks for your help! You pointed me in the right direction.

Christopher_McMullan

No problem! Glad it's working.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors