Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rob_cart
New Contributor

SSL VPN Portal IPS Sensor

I' m wondering if anyone applies IPS protection to the policy that enables the SSL VPN portal to work ? I have created custom IPS profiles to protect say Microsoft web servers in my network but should i have create an IPS profile to protect the SSL VPN portal ? I would say it would be a good thing to do but as I' m not exactly sure what platforms are running here i.e i' m assuming linux OS ? Apache web server ? Any ideas or experience would be much appreciated ! Cheers Rob
11 REPLIES 11
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Protect the SSLVPN portal from what would be my 1st question? brute-force login fails ? layer3 or 4 flooding? fwiw; I think the daemon is lite version of apache but what version not sure. For the tunnel-mode you can apply a IPS profile on the ssl.root to inside-server with ease. But I have never actually done this or seen a need for this. I guess it wouldn' t hurt.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
rob_cart
New Contributor

thanks for the reply emnoc, yeah i' d say protect it from any external possible threat (i' m no security expert btw).....i would assume as its a web interface potentially accessible from anywhere on the internet an IPS profile would be a good idea. I was thinking to put this on the wan to internal policy i.e. not the ssl.root to internal policy required for tunnel mode which you mentioned earlier. Thanks for the assistance and as i say i' m not security expert so appreciate your advise.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don' t if you can protect it in that fashion. You don' t need a policy install to have SSLVPN enable. So how would apply the IPS profile ? To a local-in policy maybe I don' t recall a option for apply a IPS sensor directly for traffic directed at the fortigate. Somebody correct me if I' m wrong.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Warren_Olson_FTNT

I think you' d be better off just applying a DoS policy to the external interface.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Still you have the same issues. A DoS-policy goes against a fwpolicy. A fwpolicy has a srcint and dstint. For traffic flooding directly to a SSLVPN host a external interfaces, I don' t how you could apply any IPS/DOS protection. If you have a unix host, you can demonstrate this with a simple ping -f against a interface or better hping a synflood to the webportal page. Now how would you apply a signature or policy to protect against this?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
netmin
Contributor II

I am wondering whether the portal could be used on a loopback interface and a VIP from the external interface pointing to it.
AtiT
Valued Contributor

netmin I managed to set up the firewall rules to do VIP to looback interface and from that loopback interface to set a firewall rule to some other interface with sslvpn action. It is working.

AtiT

AtiT
rob_cart
New Contributor

thanks for all the input guys
FortiAdam
Contributor II

Did none of you have to utilize an interface policy to block heartbleed? This is as simple as creating an interface policy for the interface that your SSL VPN is listening on and applying the IPS sensor that you want. There are plenty of options on interface policies that will help you control and inspect the traffic.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors