Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jordan101
New Contributor

Putty unresponsive when connecting to Console of Fortigate 110c

Hello, 

Networking newbie here. Im trying to recover the administrator password for a Fortigate 110C Router.

Im hard wired into the router itself, through the console port using RJ45 to serial, then serial to usb, which plugs into my laptop. I have the usb/serial adapter plugged into COM3 on my laptop.

I am using PuTTY as my emulator. Settings are COM3, Speed = 9600, Data bits = 8, Stop bits = 1, Parity = none, and Flow control = none.

When i try to open the console, putty just sits at a blank console. Pressing Enter key does nothing.

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

First you need to confirm if the problem is on your PC/laptop side or on FG110C console port side. Move your console cable to another device, like a cisco router or something you're sure the pinout of the console port is the same with FGT's. If you can get any echo back from that device when you type something like 'enter' your PC/laptop w/ the console cable is fine. Then 110C's console might have locked up, which regularly requires a power-cycle unless you can get in via SSH/telnet over an ethernet port.

vinceneil666
Contributor

You could try for one of the other baud rates just to check.. someone might have changed it at some point.. you never know :)

If someone has changed it, its probalby set to 115200 or19200 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors