Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
EMES
Contributor

Out of Band Management

Hi everyone,

I am learning the Fortinet product line and I am currently studying the Fortigate 100D. At a first glance it seems like we do have an OOB management interface but I did some testing and it is not what I thought. This is just one unit so I noticed that If I turn on HA and set the "Reserve Management Port for Cluster Member" as the management interface then it is Out Of Band. Would this be the correct way to do it? or is there another way? I know that this is meant for Active/Active and being able to manage the devices individually. Will this have any impact on the units as well?

Thank you for your responses,

Eugene

1 REPLY 1
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You have a few options that I've used in the past.

1: designate a physical port for OOB and set it into a  vdom just for managment & cable it into your OOB management layer2/3 network ( see #3 below )

2: used the Managment interface ( ideal if you have no HA setup )

3: for the following HA mgmt interface;

I noticed that If I turn on HA and set the "Reserve Management Port for Cluster Member" as the management interface then it is Out Of Band. Would this be the correct way to do it?

And yes this is the correct way if you run a HA cluster, just set the same "port" for each cluster unit and with unique address per port

e.g

config sys ha

set ha-status enable

set ha-mgmt-interface port1

set ha-mgmt-interface-gateway 192.0.2.1/24

end

config sys int

edit port1

set alias "mgmt-intf"

set ip 192.0.2.2/24

set allow access ssh https

end

and repeat for the 2nd unit with a unique address ( 192.0.2.3/24 )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors