Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nicko1977
New Contributor

New to Fortinet and SD-WAN

Hello,

I'm in the final choice for a SD-WAN solution, and Fortinet seems very interesting. But i have only a few demo and commercial inputs. 

I have a classic network with a HQ Datacenter, and a lot of remote sites, all connected with MPLS, no NAT and dynamic OSPF routing (manage by a Cisco L3 switch , and MPLS Link pass through an ASA Firewall). 

I want to add bandwidth in remote site with a second MPLS Link and a Internet Link for a total of 3 Wan Links. 

So could i have some real experience of SD-WAN architecture that can answer theses questions :

- i will have 1 MPLS 10MB + 1 MPLS 4MB + 1 INTERNET 10MB  ; can i put all 3 in one SD-WAN interface, and manage routing/priority with rules likes application / dst IP or TCP Port ? Exemple the main https application pass thru the 10MB MPLS wan interface ? 

- i have to create a VPN Tunnel on the Internet Wan Interface to the HQ ?

- Can the remote network behind the Fortinet (and SD-WAN) can be announce with OSPF ? 

- There is a central web interface to manage all the Fortinet ? 

Maybe some basic questions, but there is a lot of solution now and hard to make a choice ...

Thank's

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

- i will have 1 MPLS 10MB + 1 MPLS 4MB + 1 INTERNET 10MB  ; can i put all 3 in one SD-WAN interface, and manage routing/priority with rules likes application / dst IP or TCP Port ? Exemple the main https application pass thru the 10MB MPLS wan interface ?   

No , that's not how it work, you Could apply MPLS10/4 and load-share and balance the traffic over those two links and the virtual-wan. Remember when you  use SD-WAN the  individual links are not configurable in  a policy

- i have to create a VPN Tunnel on the Internet Wan Interface to the HQ ?  

That should be doable in  FortiOS and with SD-WAN interface

- Can the remote network behind the Fortinet (and SD-WAN) can be announce with OSPF ? 

Not following you, but BGP is support in   the new SD-WAN .Never seen it deployed fwiw 

- There is a central web interface to manage all the Fortinet ?   

Not following you, but are you asking about a fortimanager ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau

Adding some of my cheese:

- OSPF:

why do you think you can NOT publish the network behind the FGT on OSPF? Isn't that what dynamic routing protocols are there for? I don't have one running but I assume yes, that's the way it works. Have a quick look at the Handbook, Advanced Routing.

- VPN:

if you create a SD-WAN (lb) interface the VPN would be a sub-interface to it. You cannot use the individual ports which make up a SD-WAN port, as mentioned.

Will be funny if the external IP address changes. Dial-out VPN is OK with this but site-to-site??

- central mgmt:

no, each FGT/cluster is managed by it's own web GUI/ssh CLI. For logging and reporting, use a FortiAnalyzer. For handling configurations, templates, firmware bulk upgrades, there is the FortiManager. I personally don't like it but have a look yourself (demo VM running for 14 days for free).

I've recently seen a network of FGTs where each FGT was managed on it's loopback interface. All those addresses came from a 'supernet' comprising all FGTs. Nice touch as they will be accessible over any interface (if allowed).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
nicko1977

Thank's for you informations. I read a lot and i can see that the Fortinet OS has a lot of possibilities. Not sure that SDWAN is the only option, i can make what i want with multiple WAN access and rules. But the idea of the SDWAN is to deploy a remote site faster with template 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors