Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Minimum XML config required to automatically register a FortiClient?

Ok so I' ve wasted about an hour testing something I thought would be pretty simple! Was hoping you guys could give me a hand. I' m trying to configure a simple XML configuration to test out automatically registering a new FortiClient to the FortiGate without prompting the user. Currently I have the below config that I' m restoring to a FortiClient manually:
<forticlient_configuration>
 <endpoint_control>
 <disable_unregister>0</disable_unregister>
 <silent_registration>1</silent_registration>
 <fortigates>
             <fortigate>
 		<name>myfortigate</name>
                 <addresses>192.168.1.1:8010</addresses>
             </fortigate>
 </fortigates>
 </endpoint_control>
 </forticlient_configuration>
Unfortunately nothing happens. I' ve disabled the ' forticlient-reg-key-enforce' option to ensure there' s no password required. After this didn' t work I enabled the key enforce and used a password, but still no registration. I' m using the 8010 port number because this is the port that I can see when I do a config backup of the FortiClient when it' s connected to the FGT. Still doesn' t work if I only use an IP address with no port. Has anyone been able to connect the FortiClient to a FortiGate by only using the config file? I feel like I' m missing something pretty obvious here :(
4 REPLIES 4
Chris_Lin_FTNT

Here is my minimum config. FortiClient will register when it restart. <?xml version=" 1.0" encoding=" UTF-8" ?> <forticlient_configuration> <partial_configuration>1</partial_configuration> <endpoint_control> <enabled>1</enabled> <disable_unregister>0</disable_unregister> <silent_registration>1</silent_registration> <show_bubble_notifications>1</show_bubble_notifications> <fortigates> <fortigate> <serial_number /> <name /> <registration_password /> <addresses>a.b.c.d:8010</addresses> </fortigate> </fortigates> </endpoint_control> </forticlient_configuration>
kolawale_FTNT

The default EC port is 8010. You are right. EC silent registration was intended for newly installed clients, or when the user boots-up the system. If you would like to manually upload your XML configuration to an existing FortiClient for testing purpose, try restarting FortiClient, or rebooting the system after uploading the new configuration.
neonbit
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys it' s working perfect now! I didn' t realise that a restart of the client was required to get the full config to take effect (config settings like enable/disable the ads didn' t require a restart). Restarted the client and it registered straight away. Thanks again :)
Fullmoon

hello, already installed FortiClient to my computer,which XML file do I need to edit for automatic registration, or do I need to paste the config stated above (assigned correct fortigate ip address) and save it where FortiClient directory installed? pls need your feedback asap

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors