Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FortiRack_Eric
New Contributor III

LDAP access with sAMAccountName

Hello all, Has anyone any luck and/or succeeded in using the sAMAccountName to login? I' ve succeeded using the UPN’ (Universal Principal Name) OR ‘Display Name’ but the client wants to login using sAMAccountName. Thanks, Cheers, Eric

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack

Rackmount your Fortinet --> http://www.rackmount.it/fortirack
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable

hi, a bit late, but maybe this still helps. I' m running 3.0MR5p2 (568) and have successfully configured that. I can login (IPSEC with XAUTH to MS-AD via LDAP in my case) with samaccountname. Although it was a bit tricky because of the unclear documentation. Additionally in my config group membership is checked. In short: You have to configure the cnid (cn) variable as samaccountname. in the cli:
 config user ldap
 edit ad_ldap
 set server " dc.mydomain.at" 
 set dn " DC=mydomain,DC=at" 
 set cnid samaccountname
 set dn " DC=mydomain,DC=at" 
 set type regular
 set username " CN=ldapsearch,OU=toolbox,DC=mydomain,DC=at" 
 set password xxx
 set group " CN=ipsecdialup,OU=toolbox,DC=mydomain,DC=at" 
 set filter (&(objectcategory=group)(objectclass=group)(member=*))
 next
 end

you have to provide a user (his dn) to search the ldap tree (ldapsearch here) and the search base (dn var). debug helped me a lot.
 diagnose debug application fnbamd –1
 diagnose debug enable

regards
os
New Contributor

hello, Many thanks for the info :) I have also setup IPSEC with XAuth as above and it is working, ... however on some occasions the authentication doesn' t succeed 1st time. I know the username and password is entered correctly because this has been saved, so the same credentials are used each time. I am using the FortiClient software to dial-in remotely. I have also got this working with SSL VPNs and notice a similar issue. Has anybody else experienced similar issues? Kind Regards.
os
New Contributor

Does anybody else experience a failed login attempt occasionally when using ssl vpn / ipsec (forticlient) when the XAuth is forwarded to an external LDAP server (e.g. Active Directory) ... even when the login credentials are entered correctly? I am testing with a Fortigate 60. Do you think this might be an issue with the hardware of the firewall? Kind Regards.
os
New Contributor

I think I have found the reason. I was running Windows 2003 Server in a Virtual Machine. I have now installed this on it' s own dedicated box and am not seeing this issue any more :) Hope that may be useful for anybody else seeing similar issues in their testing. Regards.
Carsten_Buchenau
New Contributor

Just an add-on to wozu' s explanation (Thanks!): It looks like the AD Server requires authentication (set type regular, username & password) if you query other LDAP attributes than CN - so for cnid=samaccountname, you HAVE to authenticate to the AD Server! Cheers, carsten

Carsten Buchenau EDIFICE COMMUNICATIONS SA Lausanne, Switzerland

Carsten Buchenau EDIFICE COMMUNICATIONS SA Lausanne, Switzerland
fcb
Contributor

This is one fantastic thread!!!!!! Worked like a charm and saved me a ton of time.
Not applicable

set filter (&(objectcategory=group)(objectclass=group)(member=*))
Great information though I still cannot get authentication with Active Directory groups to work. I have created a new OU with two new groups with test accounts with the configuration from this thread. No luck. The debug looks like this: fnbamd_ldap.c[612] fnbamd_ldap_get_result-Going to SEARCH state fnbamd_fsm.c[933] poll_auth-Continue pending for req 10 fnbamd_ldap.c[183] get_all_dn-Found no DN fnbamd_ldap.c[202] start_next_dn_bind-No more DN left fnbamd_ldap.c[555] fnbamd_ldap_get_result-No more DN fnbamd_ldap.c[686] fnbamd_ldap_get_result-Going to DONE state res=1 fnbamd_auth.c[961] fnbamd_auth_poll-Result for ldap svr x.x.x.x is denied fnbamd_comm.c[128] fnbamd_comm_send_result-Sending result 1 for req 10 authenticate ' groupatest' against ' SSLGroupA' failed! I successfully authenticate with LDAP against an OU without groups, but I need to be able to use group membership for different users. What I am missing? Thanks!
Not applicable

fnbamd_ldap.c[183] get_all_dn-Found no DN fnbamd_ldap.c[202] start_next_dn_bind-No more DN left fnbamd_ldap.c[555] fnbamd_ldap_get_result-No more DN
Seems like you did not define the base to start the search from, i.e. the root of your LDAP Directory, " DC=domain,DC=com" ? You need that for searching through the tree... regards
CfSi_Dan
New Contributor

Followed the directions as outlined in this thread. (Thanks for those!) Here is what I got from the diag command. fnbamd_fsm.c[934] handle_req-Rcvd 7 req fnbamd_acct.c[274] fnbamd_acct_start_STOP-Invalid params fnbamd_fsm.c[443] create_acct_session-Error start acct type 7 fnbamd_fsm.c[939] handle_req-Error creating acct session 7 Here' s what the config looks like for me. show config user ldap edit " xxxxx.com" set server " 192.168.xxx.xxx" set cnid " samaccountname" set dn " DC=xxxxx,DC=xxxxx" set type regular set username " CN=ldap,CN=Users,DC=xxxxx,DC=xxxx" set password ENC 9yLWW7OgSLo19Y+NBvb3saYDNQauMQKkQgJtgjnQnexYE0I7xAyXEf9AAWvHYw7Va654BUFIjfRi3MP82cgaldQZz8nXal7O1hBPDHY1F9ZOzrTn set group " cn=ldap_query,CN=Users,DC=xxxxx,DC=xxxxxx" set filter " (&(objectcategory=group)(objectclass=group)(member=*))" next end Any ideas on what I' m missing. Thanks for your help in advance.

Fortigate 200D HA A/P Cluster FAZ VM

Fortigate 200D HA A/P Cluster FAZ VM
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors