Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
condor
New Contributor

Is useful block by country?

For example: The Fortigate 500D IOS 5.2.3

Hi, searching in the 500D reports and I repetitive attack from some country, so the quetions: Is useful block by country? For example in first policy :

src: "Netherlands" dst: All

Thanks.

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes but that can kill legit traffic also if for say you had clients from Netherlands. What I would b4 I GEO-IP block;

1: monitor for legit traffic from the region  your planning to block

2: set log on the block policy after you enable block to see what's being blocked

3: monitor and re-monitor

Alternatively you could probably do a IPS rule and a set quarantine or ban action for the SRCs that hit the IPS rule, this is more  friendly and would not strike legit SRCs

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes but that can kill legit traffic also if for say you had clients from Netherlands. What I would b4 I GEO-IP block;

1: monitor for legit traffic from the region  your planning to block

2: set log on the block policy after you enable block to see what's being blocked

3: monitor and re-monitor

Alternatively you could probably do a IPS rule and a set quarantine or ban action for the SRCs that hit the IPS rule, this is more  friendly and would not strike legit SRCs

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
condor
New Contributor

Hi Emnoc , i'm brand new in IPS , I understand the concept , but where I can create IPS rules? I found only create signatures on FortiGate manuals. Could you please indicate some of documentations about it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors