Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gilfalko
New Contributor III

Identity Policy fall-through

Hey,

I've been playing around with the new User-Source based policies but unable to make them work.

I have the following policy which is placed at the very top of the list but it just doesnt work (see attached image).

Instead, it falls through to another policy I have that allows internet for the entire office.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Gil

1 Solution
gilfalko
New Contributor III

I just wanted to update that after speaking to a Fortigate representative I finally managed to solve this issue.

This has nothing to do with Captive Portal just for the record.

The reason that my non-auth NAT policy was always getting hit is because all non-auth policies take precedence over User Source based policies. Yes even if the non-auth policy is at the bottom of your policy list.

Once I made sure that SW_INTERCONNECT (gil's PC, gilfalko user) was the ONLY policy using gil's PC as the source of the communication, the forti portal popped out immediately. Well, I also had to erase all sessions from my station first.

I hope that helps someone out there.

Peace

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay so in  .5.2x it's not required. 

Did you enable auth protocols?

e.g

config user settings  

set auth-type http telnet

end

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
gilfalko
New Contributor III

Http was missing

but it had both https and telnet.

I added http but that still doesnt cut it i'm afraid.

I also cleared all sessions on the firewall just in case.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Have you allowed DNS for unauthorized users?

Cf. Handbook, pg. 483:

Access to HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and Telnet sites may require access to a domain name service. DNS requests do not trigger authentication. You must configure a policy to permit unauthenticated access to the appropriate DNS server, and this policy must precede the policy for Internet access. Failure to do this will result in the lack of a DNS connection and a corresponding lack of access to the Internet.

This behavior has changed starting in v5.2.

Adding the user (group) field in the policy is sufficient to trigger a captive portal IF the user has not been authenticated before (e.g. by using FSSO or RSSO).

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
gilfalko
New Contributor III

ede_pfau wrote:

Have you allowed DNS for unauthorized users?

Cf. Handbook, pg. 483:

Access to HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and Telnet sites may require access to a domain name service. DNS requests do not trigger authentication. You must configure a policy to permit unauthenticated access to the appropriate DNS server, and this policy must precede the policy for Internet access. Failure to do this will result in the lack of a DNS connection and a corresponding lack of access to the Internet.

This behavior has changed starting in v5.2.

Adding the user (group) field in the policy is sufficient to trigger a captive portal IF the user has not been authenticated before (e.g. by using FSSO or RSSO).

If the behavior has changed, I guess I dont really need to add it, right?

One way or another DNS resolution is being done on the same subnet without restrictions so it doesnt matter.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

If the behavior has changed, I guess I dont really need to add it, right?

You would not need a policy allowing DNS for all users if your DNS was located in the same subnet, that is, if DNS traffic would not traverse the firewall. You can check that easily from on your host (did you?).

Another thing to check: services=ALL or services=ANY? I don't have any v5.2 machine at hand right now to check this.

Ede

xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

if you are playing on 5.2 then fall-through-unauthenticated is default behavior, in contrary to 5.0. So if your user based policy is first, but followed by any non-identity-based policy which would allow the traffic anyway, then fall through will allow that and user will sneak through.

Make sure that there is not another non-identity-based policy allowing the traffic. Best is that if user is not matching the identity policy it will be rejected by implicit deny (policy ID=0).

Then it should start to work as you expect.

Kind regards, Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

The problem is (IIUC) that the captive portal doesn't show up. It's not that the user fails to authenticate and then falls through.

Ede

gilfalko
New Contributor III

ede_pfau wrote:

The problem is (IIUC) that the captive portal doesn't show up. It's not that the user fails to authenticate and then falls through.

precisely!

xsilver_FTNT

ede_pfau wrote:

turn on captive portal on interface + as local + define user group

optionally set exempt list so for those destinations captive portal will not pop up

then make fw policy specific as you need + set there same group as in captive portal

done

works in my lab on 5.2.3 B0670 FG-VM64

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

gilfalko
New Contributor III

I just wanted to update that after speaking to a Fortigate representative I finally managed to solve this issue.

This has nothing to do with Captive Portal just for the record.

The reason that my non-auth NAT policy was always getting hit is because all non-auth policies take precedence over User Source based policies. Yes even if the non-auth policy is at the bottom of your policy list.

Once I made sure that SW_INTERCONNECT (gil's PC, gilfalko user) was the ONLY policy using gil's PC as the source of the communication, the forti portal popped out immediately. Well, I also had to erase all sessions from my station first.

I hope that helps someone out there.

Peace

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors