Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
snobs
New Contributor II

[IPv6] link local address for gateway

Hi, I want my Fortigate having a link-local address for next hop/gateway.
 system interface port4
 -
 config system interface
     edit " port4" 
         set vdom " root" 
         set type physical
         set alias " external" 
             config ipv6
                 set ip6-address fe80::10:20:30:5/128
                 set ip6-allowaccess ping
             end
     next
 end

config router static6
 -
     edit 1
         set device " port4" 
         set gateway fe80::10:20:30:1
     next
 end

Unfortunately it doesn´t work at all. From the switch (having fe80::10:20:30:1) I can ping the Fortigate (having fe80::10:20:30:5/128) but not the other way round. Also routing fails. Perhaps the Fortinet doesn´t know what interface to take for the FE80 address? But port4 is specified. Did I miss something? Does anyone know what´s going wrong?
7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Man I never heard of any one usinga FE80 for a next-hop gateway. That address should be local to the link. As a matter of fact a linklocal packet should never leave the link ( no forwarding) So why do you want a link-local for a next-hop-gw is the real question ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ddskier
Contributor

I believe by default FE80 (Link-Local) was not routable by definition of IPv6. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

-DDSkier FCNSA, FCNSP FortiGate 400D, (2) 200D, (12) 100D, (2) 60D

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed in some cases ,we use the link-local address on every one of our link since it' s link-local if you have to use a link-local address, make sure it' s true uniqu thru out your FGT configuration.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
snobs
New Contributor II

Hi, thanks for your answer. The mentioned gateway with FE80 address is actually directly connected to the Fortigate. Also it is unique. As mentioned before, I can ping the link-local address from the gateway, but not the other way round. So, shouldn´t that work, too?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No because typically these address are use for neighborship discovery and once again, I never seen one just use a link local address in the fashion that you have and with a default ipv6 route-gateway, don' t even know for sure that the FGT will execute ipv6 pings and sources from a FE80 address either. 2nd, your /128 is not going to do you any good or that much good. Typically a FE80s are assigned into a /64 prefix. That /128 is equal to a /32 in ipv4 world. fwiw: You should really read up on ipv6 best practices and designs, to avoid a lot of headaches. That' s the only thing that I can think up immediately that looks strange. Good luck in whatever way you proceed.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
snobs
New Contributor II

Well, the question was not whether this works at all, because it seems to work elsewhere, just google around The question is, why it doesn´t work on the Fortigate? Some mistyping? For pinging, it seems I cannot tell a Fortigate to take a specific interface for pinging the link local address, like e.g. " ping6 -I eth0 -c 1 fe80::2e0:18ff:fe90:9205"
ddskier
Contributor

Ok putting aside the the link-local address not being routable. The issue is your IPv6 Address setup. Change " set ip6-address fe80::10:20:30:5/128" to " set ip6-address fe80::10:20:30:5/64" and see if it works.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors