Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dMb
New Contributor

How to test if failover WAN connection is working?

I have two ISP connected to a HA pair of Fortigate firewalls.  I suspect the failover internet connection is not working but struggling to find a good way to test it without failing over which I do not want to do just in case it is not working.

I opened a ticket with fortinet and they have not been able to tell me a good way to do this.  Basically I need to be able to ping or tracert out WAN2 while WAN1 is active or find something in logs indicating something is wrong.

Anyone any ideas how to do this?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
gsarica
Contributor

You can set up a policy route to send traffic from your IP out WAN2. This won't test if a failover situation would work, but it will test the WAN2 connection if that's all you're looking for.

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

To truly know, for certain, that everything is right for failover you will need to simulate one during off production hours.

Otherwise, you are just verifying that the connection is up and able to flow traffic which won't necessarily confirm that the failover portion will function as needed.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors