Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
3d1l
New Contributor II

How to properly remove and interface and restore all the settings on a new interface?

Hello,

I need to completely remove a switch interface and replace it with an aggregated Interface that must use the same IP address. The new aggregated interface have to provide all the services and access that the switch interface currently have and provides. That includes, DHCP service, NTP, relations to VPNs, policies, relations with address objects and groups, etc. I extracted the information running the command "show | grep switch_interface_name -f". 1) Should I consider any other command to extract more configuration information related to the switch interface? 2) What is the quickest way to completely remove the switch interface from the system? 3) After removal, if I take the extracted information related to the switch interface from the configuration and replace the name value with the name of the new aggregated interface, Will that recreate everything with the new aggregated interface? again routing, NTP, relation with the VPNs, DHCP server, policies, everything Best regards.

2 Solutions
Ashik_Sheik
Contributor II

Hi,

To remove the references the easiest way use following command .After configuring new aggregated interface just copy past the old configuration under new interface .

On 5.4 and 5.6   conf system dhcp server purge end   conf firewall policy purge end   config system switch-interface purge end

Ashu 

View solution in original post

Ashu
hervaltelecom

Be warned, this will remove every single configuration under those sections, so be sure to have a backup config file before continuing. There is no other way thou. Later you will have to copy paste all configs (related to that interface) directly in the CLI via SSH or Telnet and if you can be sure to rename the new inteface the same as the old one so that you wont need to adjust in the conf file. 

In the exemple below lan was your switch. Make the new interface lan1 or the one you need to have the same name as the old one ,lan. If that is not doable you will have open notepad++ and replace lan with lan1.

Ex:

config firewall policy

edit 256

source interface 

lan

next

end

You source interface has to be exactly the same.

I had to do that once and it was a bummer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashik_Sheik
Contributor II

Hi,

To remove the references the easiest way use following command .After configuring new aggregated interface just copy past the old configuration under new interface .

On 5.4 and 5.6   conf system dhcp server purge end   conf firewall policy purge end   config system switch-interface purge end

Ashu 

Ashu
hervaltelecom

Be warned, this will remove every single configuration under those sections, so be sure to have a backup config file before continuing. There is no other way thou. Later you will have to copy paste all configs (related to that interface) directly in the CLI via SSH or Telnet and if you can be sure to rename the new inteface the same as the old one so that you wont need to adjust in the conf file. 

In the exemple below lan was your switch. Make the new interface lan1 or the one you need to have the same name as the old one ,lan. If that is not doable you will have open notepad++ and replace lan with lan1.

Ex:

config firewall policy

edit 256

source interface 

lan

next

end

You source interface has to be exactly the same.

I had to do that once and it was a bummer.

3d1l
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response. I have no choice and I will be working with this.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors