Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
seth57
New Contributor

How to block SMTP sessions from HUGE spambot

Hello

We are using FM since years but we are stuck to resolve a problem with a large spambot in taiwan

We implemented sender reputation, some SMTP limits but the spammers always adapts their methods

We were used to handle +/- 400K sessions per month but since december, we are receiving more than 2,5M SMTP sessions

Stats were about 50% of spam before and reach 98% of spam now

Log files are not readable due to millions of rejects and log files are created more than once a day

Complaints to abuse mailbox stay

Are you aware about some other technics to block this ?

We have some other hosted services like Web servers and some of our clients are trading with taiwan so blocking IP prefixes with fortigate policies is not possible

thanks in advance

NSE6

NSE6
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_S
Contributor

can you post a sample email with the headers?

I block most foreign countries with my fortigate. I know you said that would not work, but maybe you build a list of your partners, get their SMTP IP addresses, then block all SMTP traffic from Taiwan IP prefixes EXCEPT if they are in your allowed_partners_group.

I basically do something like that now and it works pretty well. The only spam I struggle with is spam that is sent via a major email provider (outlook.com, gmail.com, etc...) because I cannot block the IP or the domain. I've started using keyword blocking for them.

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x                   [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5  |  Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5 | Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

GEOIP blocking should be your friend but have you also engage  fortiguard to see if they can help with the intelligence?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
seth57
New Contributor

Hi all

thanks for answers

GeoIP and objects creation are not usable solutions as i work for an little ISP in a little country ( we have hundreds clients who are trading with many financial places all over the world )

i'll check with fortinet to find a solution

thanks again for suggestions

NSE6

NSE6
Paul_S

Be sure to submit the spam so that Fortiguard can improve their detection:

submitspam@service.fortinet.com

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x                   [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5  |  Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5 | Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+
netrunner

I am noticing the same issue.

I switched the Anti-Spam filter from "discard" to "tag" and added "Fortinet" to the subject line.

After 14 hours, I am not seeing any spam tagged. If I am not seeing any tagged spam then I would not be discarding any either. 

On call with Tech support now to get problem resolved.

You might want to test yours.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors