Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Obs
New Contributor

How to Uninstall FortiClient 7.2.2

Hello,

I messed up big time. I installed (maybe, not sure if it fully installed) FortiClient 7.2.2 on a Windows 2012 server. At first it did not crash but then after a month or so, the server began crashing.

It will not boot now in normal mode but I can get boot in safe mode. I need to uninstall FortiClient from the server but it does not seem to give me the option. This is a local EMS server. What would be the steps I can take to get FortiClient removed from the server?

Thank you for any guidance 

9 REPLIES 9
adambomb1219
SuperUser
SuperUser

Why was it installed in the first place?  How do you know the boot issues are related to FortiClient?  The issue is with the EMS server?  Or a different server?

Obs

It was installed because I am an idiot. I will pay the price as needed for sure.

When the server attempts to boot normally, it blue screens with a Forti-service as the error. The server that is the problem is a separate server that is not the EMS server. I am attempting to remove the client from a 2012 server.

I am sorry for not being as clear in my initial post!

adambomb1219

johnathan
Staff
Staff

I assume you tried the steps listed here?: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/forticlient/7.2.4/ems-administration-guide/997168/uninstalling-fo...

If those steps don't work in safe mode, you may be able to disable the FortiClient EMS service from starting automatically. Then you should be able to at least boot normally. Open up 'msconfig', then navigate to the 'Services' page. You should see the EMS service. Uncheck it, and reboot. 

Obs
New Contributor

I am sorry for being unclear, it is not the EMS server that I would like to uninstall. It is a client that cannot reach the EMS (or is stuck attempting to) and does not give any option for removing the client from this 2012 server that is not an EMS server.

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

AEK
Obs
New Contributor

The steps for uninstalling FortiClient, I did attempt to try those but the thing is that this installation of FortiClient will not open the console on the problem server. Along with that, our EMS server is a separate server that is functioning but does not see the problem client 100%. I am assuming FortiClient did not install properly because the EMS does not see it properly. 

Then because it did not install properly, the problem 2012 server crashes when attempting to boot normally but boots in safe mode. I am just looking to remove the problem client from the 2012 server.

Apologies for being unclear! 

FortiNet_Newb
Contributor

You can try and use the FortiClient Support Utilities and run the FCRemove.exe application on your problematic server to uninstall it.

If you do not have the FortiClient Support Utilities already, just go to the FortiClient Firmware download page, select the FortiClient version that you installed on the problematic sever.  You should see a FortiClientTools_7.XX.XX.zip file that you can download, this is the Support Utilities folder.  Download it, boot your server into safe mode and run the FCRemove.exe that is included in the .zip file directly on the problematic server.

hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Obs,

You can use FCremove.exe in safe mode to remove FortiClient. Please refer to this article: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiClient/Technical-Tip-How-to-uninstall-a-managed-FortiClient-i...

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors