Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
5q46n2te8jPWJY
New Contributor III

How to Remove NAT for IPSEC VPN on VDOM in Fortigate 7.4.4?

Hello,

I am a user of Fortigate 7.4.4. I have an architecture based on a root VDOM, where my WAN connections arrive, and then interconnection links with my child VDOMs (as shown in this diagram visible in the Fortigate documentation).

4b71aa7a1dc7259b927ed41ff8afe22f_Topology_Inter VDOM Routing Ex_Internet access_Updated-01 (1).png

My infrastructure is shared with a client. My client wants to set up an IPSEC VPN on their VDOM. I followed the configuration available here: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configuring-IPSec-VPN-tunnels-on-VDOMs-tha...

This configuration is based on a NAT on the root VDOM. My client does not want NAT. How can I completely remove NAT?

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you're hosting your customers with VDOMs, they/you don't want customers sharing the same public IPs. It might/would cause problems when they need to get security audits like PCI-DSS and PEN tests required for the certifications.
You need to get additional block of public subnet(s) from your internet circuit provider, then assign it to the Vlink/npu-vlink between root vdom and the customer vdoms in the diagram. The link subnet can be as small as /31 if you use p2p links and static routing but most ISPs provide like a /30, /29, /28 and above. You can split a /30 to two /31s and use them for two VDOMs if you want, like in the diagram.

Toshi

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

If you're hosting your customers with VDOMs, they/you don't want customers sharing the same public IPs. It might/would cause problems when they need to get security audits like PCI-DSS and PEN tests required for the certifications.
You need to get additional block of public subnet(s) from your internet circuit provider, then assign it to the Vlink/npu-vlink between root vdom and the customer vdoms in the diagram. The link subnet can be as small as /31 if you use p2p links and static routing but most ISPs provide like a /30, /29, /28 and above. You can split a /30 to two /31s and use them for two VDOMs if you want, like in the diagram.

Toshi

Toshi_Esumi

I found my previous conversation with another poster for the same or similar issue.
https://community.fortinet.com/t5/Support-Forum/VDOM-configuration/m-p/320577#M243510

fricci_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi @5q46n2te8jPWJY ,

I might have misunderstood your request. Assuming that not-NATed traffic is routed correctly and both ends can reach each other, you can just disable NAT on the related firewall policies:

config firewall policy
    edit xx
        set name "outgoing"
        set srcintf "VDOM-link0"
        set dstintf "wan1"
        set nat disable #<-----you can disable it from GUI as well
    end

Best regards,

---
If you have found a useful article or a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors