Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
arie_arie
New Contributor III

Disabling Initiate Traffic from FortiGate to Fortinet Global Update

Hi,

In the FortiGate, I can see there are traffics initiating from FortiGate' IP address (10.90.0.2) to IP Public which is globalupdate.fortinet.net.

I have configured the FGT so that it will use FortiManager as local FDN, but seems like the FortiGate still trying to IP Public by itself. How to disable it in FortiGate?

config system central-management
set type fortimanager
set fmg "10.1.71.57"
set fmg-source-ip 10.90.32.11
config server-list
edit 1
set server-type update rating
set server-address 10.1.71.57
next
end
set interface-select-method sdwan
endLog Traffic.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @arie_arie ,

When I reviewed your configuration, I saw the configuration for rating and update on the same line. Can you separate these configurations like that? Maybe the problem is caused by that. 

config system central-management
set type fortimanager
set fmg "10.1.71.57"
set fmg-source-ip 10.90.32.11
config server-list
edit 1
set server-type rating
next
edit 2
set server-type update
next
end
set interface-select-method sdwan
end

Also, can you restart fds service on Fortigate?

diag fmupdate service-restart fds

You can follow that document for use FortiManager as FDN server.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiManager/Technical-Tip-Configure-FortiManager-as-a-local-FDN-s...

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
arie_arie
New Contributor III

Hi,

It can't separate the rating and update using same IP address.

srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Can you configure "set include-default-servers disable " under central-management and check.

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-setup-FortiGate-to-get-updates-from...

Regards,
Suraj
- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.
arie_arie

Hi,

I tried to configure "set include-default-servers disable " but still there are traffics to fortinet.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-26 at 17.12.18.jpeg

srajeswaran

This is to globalproductapi.fortinet.net, do you see traffic to globalupdate.fortinet.net now?
globalproductapi.fortinet.net is used for GUI icon download and not fortiguard updates- ref :
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.0/fortios-ports/622145/anycast-and-unicast-services

Regards,
Suraj
- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.
arie_arie

Hi,

Yes, I don't see traffic to globalupdate.fortinet.net anymore.

For globalproductapi.fortinet.net, I tried disable  "set fortiguard-anycast disable" in system fortiguard.

Now, the remaining is to this msgctrl1.fortinet.com, what does it for? And how to disable it?

Screenshot 2024-06-26 173533.jpg

srajeswaran

All cloud communication can be disabled with the following CLI command:

config system global
    set cloud-communication disable
end

ref: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.2.0/new-features/569561/disable-all-cloud-communicati...

Regards,
Suraj
arie_arie

Hi,

After disable all cloud communication, now there are traffic to update.fortiguard.net and productapi.fortinet.com.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 180431.jpg

srajeswaran

Can you verify " set include-default-servers disable" is still in place?

Regards,
Suraj
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors