Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
joebrug
New Contributor

Fortigate 200F with Cisco Nexus - redundancy

hello all,

I have two Nexus 9000 switches connected via a vPC Peer Link. Two catalyst stacks are also connected to both NX's via vPC's. How can I be able to have redundant paths between the fortigate and the NX's? Do I set up a "hardware switch" with two ports on the Fortigate.. and then run one cable to NX1 and one to NX2? Do I need to vPC those? 

Obvious goal being if one of the NX goes down.. traffic will still go over the other one. 

Thanks! Happy to provide more details if needed.

5 REPLIES 5
Jirka1
Contributor III

Hi, I think the best will be LACP  https://docs.fortinet.com...egation-and-redundancy

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

On thes NXOS just build a virtPC and populate the Aggregation LACP on each fortigate to the NX-SW1 and SW2. if you have a active-standby do the same for the stand-by fgt

So keep in mind you will burn 2x members ports for the connection and both should be the same type and on the same switch fabric.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
joebrug
New Contributor

hi Ken,

just making sure I'm being clear. I only have 1 fortigate firewall.. and two NX switches. Assume that changes some of your guidance a bit..

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No just build the LAg group to the two NX switches.

config system interface

edit "bonded"

set vdom "root"

set type aggregate

set alias "NX-VPC-portchannelXXX"

set lldp-reception disable

set lldp-transmission enable

set snmp-index 24

set member port1 port2

set ip. x.x.x.x/30 

set allowacces ssh ping 

end

port1 goes to NX-SW1

port2 goes to NX-SW2

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
joebrug
New Contributor

Apologies. So right now my main uplink is in a "hardware switch ("LAN" 172.16.0.2) on the fortigate from port1 to NX1. Seems like you're saying create a new "interface" of type = 802.3 Aggregate on the Fortigate.. assign two ports to it, one to NX1 one to NX2. Do the ports on the NX's need to be in a vPC? 

Also, considering my rules are all set up for "lan > wan" .. I probably have to change all my rules for the new interface (aggregate)? Picture attached just in case it helps. 

Appreciate the hand holding =) Goal simply being if NX1 goes down, traffic intended to/from internet goes over NX2 or vice versa. Thank you!!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors