Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Pyrate31
New Contributor

Forticlient casuing an igmpv2 storm on my student vlan

I recently have uninstalled forticlient from an imaged machine, in an unrelated matter, and in putting the client back on the machine, I simply used the offline installer.  after registering and firing this up, I notice aan IGMPv2 storm across my student vlan where the machine is connected to.  when I turn forticlient off or disconnect the laptop I have just connected this stops.  I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What group was it being sent at and are you 100% sure it's the client? Don't know how vpnclient would use igmp much less send to a igmp group.

Was the host inspected?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Pyrate31
New Contributor

when I connect the forticlient the storm starts....when I disconnect or unregister the client it stops...im seeing it via wireshark, so that would tell me that it would have something to do with forticlient.  just an educated guess....

Chris_Lin_FTNT

It may be helpful to try https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cb0j4pxw1f8nq84/AABHzZW1bpx1VjzYAmiK00S9a?dl=0

If it works, then the cause was application firewall.

frediiii

I can confirm this. We rolled out forticlient 5.4.0 on 30 clients and a IGMP storm brought most of the low-bandwith devices (100mbit voip phones, clients via wifi, printers...) in the network to a standstill.

Very frustrating two days of troubleshooting.

I'd really like to know the root cause of this...

Pyrate31

thank you for the confirmation!  when I used an image I created it seems to be ok...this just happened with a  fresh install of the client.

mstenner

Hi - we've seen a similar issue with 5.2.5 - again, our issue manifested itself after a 30 user (trial) roll out. The application firewall is configured.

The issue was only triggered by people turning off/on printers. Now, I know we have a very old (and badly structured) network, but this was just crazy.

mstenner
New Contributor

Hi - what version of the client were you using? We've seen a similar issue (on a corporate network) with version 5.2.5.0658.

This forum entry https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=131412 appears to indicate this is an issue with the application firewall element of the client.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors