Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Home FortiGate Firewall Recommendations

Our experience with FortiGate units is limited mostly to 60D and 100D units. We have a home user that could use a firewall and 2 or 3 wireless access points. How would a 30D or a 50E perform in this situation? The user would typically only have 4 users connected at a time. They do have a very fast 1 Gbs internet connection though. Would this small a firewall hamper the internet connection speed? Ideas / Suggestions? Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
bartman10
Contributor

I've been working with Fortinet tech support on a FWF-50E that hard locks every time I take it home and use it on my home network. I've received 2 RMA units for a total of 3 units and can hard lock them all.. FN support has been extremely slow moving this ticket past level 1 support and I've just told them this weekend is the final weekend of free QA testing on my part. I'm sending the last unit back and let them deal with it.. 

Just saying.. I would avoid the 50E right now.

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
ede_pfau

New E series will show initial bugs for sure, just remember when introducing the D series (100D). Forcing the bleeding edge v5.4 for the new hardware won't help either.

But that said, there's not much to say about the 30D although there's a saying anything below a 60x isn't a real firewall. It will surely depend on the extent of UTM you want to apply. The small boxes with SoC are weak on CPU intensive tasks like AV, IPS, SSL VPN.

Have you considered deploying only a remote Forti-AP and no FGT at all? Will create a tunnel to the HQ FGT and all traffic will traverse it (so the upstream bandwidth needs to be high). This would shift the requirement from the branch to HQ equipment.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
SecurityPlus

I will look into this. Interesting idea. Thanks!

AlexFeren

For home use, Sophos offers free UTM firewall(s).

Nils

It's safe to go with the 60D as it's a well tested unit. 

But 50E seems to be a good performing FW and not everyone has problems with the unit.

bartman10

I highly recommend the Sophos UTM also! Free for home use and full featured! I was using it before I took the 50E home for testing and training. 

BUT!!! this all depends on your use case. If this is for business and the business will be supporting this home user.. Get the FortiGate and FortiAP's. 

Don't mess-around with unsupported and unfamiliar equipment. You will spend to much of your time messing with it.

As for your question about speed.. simply look at the product sheets. They clearly state the speeds the unit is capable. If you plan on using all of the UTM features then no, nether unit will be fast enough to handle the full 1GB connection. That is a crazy fast connection for a home user! 

Why don't people work with their Fortinet reseller or rep for sizing and product info? Never understood that... 

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
seadave

Sounds like this might be for the boss ;)  We deployed a 60D (running 5.2.6) with a 224D in a similar situation, but we use Ruckus for the Wifi because their radios are amazing.  That being said I just deployed a FortiAP-221C using FortiCloud only and it was insanely quick and easy.  No security filtering/policies with that model unless run through a FG though.

Not sure about the throughput hit with the 60D.  Remember it will only slow down when doing AV scanning.  I think streaming content would not be impacted.

seadave

Not sure why ltguy's post isn't being displayed.  I got the email notice.  Come on Fortinet, this is an open forum.

I think suggesting Untangle for a home user (unless they are an IT person) will lead to frustration for the OP who sounds like he will need to support it.  I'm assuming this is for an Exec where the cost of a 60D and WAPs will not be an issue.  If cost is a concern, then suggestions should be reevaluated.  Someone with 1Gbps residential will most likely not be getting that most of the time anyway (we just did at work and we get ~850Mbps through a 500D with all the filters cranked up), nor will many of the sites they are connecting to be able to provide that in response.  The main benefit of a connection like that will hopefully be low latency and burst-able connection speeds.  

I'd rather have more dependable security scanning for my clients (especially if they are click on anything kids) than a super fast wide open pipe.  The extra time and hassle to get an OpenSource firewall up and running simply isn't worth it.  I don't think anyone can stand up to Fortinet's threat detection and prevention.  I see it in our hardware on a daily basis when reviewing what we block.  For a home user, Fortinet's malware scanning (getting certs on home devices to enabled SSL checking might be tricky) and a few good web filtering policies will ensure they aren't exposed to all the crap that everyone running Netgears and Linksys are.

Itguy
New Contributor

Untangle is ideal for a home user, especially since it provides THREE antivirus scanning technologies that run at 1Gb speeds, a very advanced web filter, and a tweaked up Snort IPS with 33,000 signatures. I could teach my 9 year old daughter to install Untangle it's so easy. At $49 a year for the full package these days, it's a no brainer. Snort does very well compared to Fortinet IPS, possibly better in some areas - both release emerging threat database updates in a timely fashion.

Remember, when someone pays for a high speed connection - they usually expect that. The fact is, Fortinet doesn't have any low cost, lower end devices capable of running on a 1Gb connection with all of the UTM features enabled. So it's really not a good option. The new 30E will pull 150Mbps, that's an improvement over the abysmal 30D and 60D units but not where we need to be yet.

I can't imagine recommending a 60D on anything but a slow 50Mbps or less internet connection. While you can CLI enable the extended IPS on a 60D it will take a performance hit. Remember the 60D has around 5585 IPS signatures, an 80D and higher has around 9900 signatures for IPS. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors