Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

FortiWiFi Wireless Plus FortiAP Wireless

If a FortiWiFi is in place and the FortiWiFi wireless is in use, can one or more FortiAP‘s be added using wireless provided by the FortiWiFi wireless as well as the FortiAP wireless? Can this arrangement function as it does with 2 or more FortiAP’s including roaming and the same SSID’s on all access points?
2 Solutions
Dave_Hall

On FortiWifi side - Only 2.4 or 5.0 but not both, at least on 6.0 firmware.  FortiAPs can broadcast on both.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry if I created a confusion. I meant both "one RADIO of FortiWifi" and "two RADIOs on APs" can co-exist.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

If you asking if a FortiWiFi model can act as a wiireless controller for FortiAP models then yes, but it depends on the model and firmware compatibility between the two.   

Here is my 30E, which is running on 6.0.x firmware, it can manage 2 FortiAP devices.  I still have to setup the wifi/SSID options via FortiAP Profiles.

SecurityPlus

Thanks. I knew that the FortiWiFi could act as a controller for FortiAP devices. I did not know if it could simultaneously do this while using the built in FortiWiFi wireless. I’m glad to know that this is works. Thanks.
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Just keep in mind FortiWiFi provides one RADIO, while APs might offer 2-3 RADIOs, in case one SSID is broadcasted by both.

SecurityPlus

Thanks for the reminder. Can an SSID broadcast on 2.4 and 5 GHz from the AP and on only 2.4 GHz from the FortiWiFi? Or would we need to use just one frequency if using a mixture of FortiWiFi and FortiAP?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't remember the default setting on the FortiWiFi  profile ("11n only"?) but you can change it to 5GHz if the default is 2.4GHz. You don't have to change anything special on the AP side, which might have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. They can co-exist.

Dave_Hall

On FortiWifi side - Only 2.4 or 5.0 but not both, at least on 6.0 firmware.  FortiAPs can broadcast on both.

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry if I created a confusion. I meant both "one RADIO of FortiWifi" and "two RADIOs on APs" can co-exist.

SecurityPlus

Thank you
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors