Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
djwilliams
New Contributor II

FortiOS 5.2.X - Tunnel mode SRC IP configuration

When configuring an SSLVPN in tunnel mode why do we have to specify source IP information in the VPN > SSL > SETTINGS screen under Tunnel Mode Client Settings as well as in VPN > SSL > PORTALS in the Source IP Pools field when checking Enable Tunnel Mode? 

If I don't get an answer I will lab it up and find out but I'm hoping to save some time. I suspect it has to do with Authentication/Portal Mapping but I would like some confirmation on that.  

Does the settings config assign the IP ranges that WILL be used when a tunnel mode client connects and the Portal setting is used separately to define configuration sent to the Forticlient for remote policy definition?

Are they purely redundant configuration fields?

Does one setting just give you more granular control over assigned IPs to specific users/groups?  ie Does the IP pool in the portal config trump the IP Ranges value in the settings config?  (This would seem silly to me since you have to define a portal even if it is just to the All Other Users/Groups portal mapping field.) 

Network Engineer
Network Engineer
1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know if they are redundant, but I believe you need the settings if you wanted to achieve a different  src pool for  tunnel-mode and portal clients. And yes, so what ever is under  the main cfg is trumped by the  port definitions.

e.g my webportal

config vpn ssl web portal     edit "socgroup012"         set tunnel-mode enable         set ipv6-tunnel-mode enable         set web-mode enable         set ip-pools "SSLVPN_012GROUP"         set split-tunneling disable         set ipv6-pools "SSLVPN_IPv6_012GROUP"     next end

and here's my main cfg;

config vpn ssl settings     set sslv3 disable     set servercert "Fortinet_Factory"     set tunnel-ip-pools "SSLVPN_TUNNEL_ADDR1"     set tunnel-ipv6-pools "SSLVPN_TUNNEL_IPv6_ADDR1"     set port 8767     set source-interface "wifi"     set source-address "all"     set source-address6 "all"     set default-portal "default"         config authentication-rule             edit 1                 set groups "SSL1"                 set portal "socgroup012"             next         end end

So I believe if you look at it; " yes it redundant".

What I do know, if you remove the  main tunnel mode cfg src pool address, the  user will still work and be assigned a client address via the  defined pool src_ip_pool for the specific portal.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
9 REPLIES 9
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know if they are redundant, but I believe you need the settings if you wanted to achieve a different  src pool for  tunnel-mode and portal clients. And yes, so what ever is under  the main cfg is trumped by the  port definitions.

e.g my webportal

config vpn ssl web portal     edit "socgroup012"         set tunnel-mode enable         set ipv6-tunnel-mode enable         set web-mode enable         set ip-pools "SSLVPN_012GROUP"         set split-tunneling disable         set ipv6-pools "SSLVPN_IPv6_012GROUP"     next end

and here's my main cfg;

config vpn ssl settings     set sslv3 disable     set servercert "Fortinet_Factory"     set tunnel-ip-pools "SSLVPN_TUNNEL_ADDR1"     set tunnel-ipv6-pools "SSLVPN_TUNNEL_IPv6_ADDR1"     set port 8767     set source-interface "wifi"     set source-address "all"     set source-address6 "all"     set default-portal "default"         config authentication-rule             edit 1                 set groups "SSL1"                 set portal "socgroup012"             next         end end

So I believe if you look at it; " yes it redundant".

What I do know, if you remove the  main tunnel mode cfg src pool address, the  user will still work and be assigned a client address via the  defined pool src_ip_pool for the specific portal.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
djwilliams
New Contributor II

That is excellent information!  Enough for me to move forward with my documentation.  The audience for the docs I'm writing wouldn't understand a more detailed explanation anyway.  :)

Of course my curiosity is peaked so if I can find a few minutes in the day I think I will lab up a couple of scenarios.  I would really like an answer from the developer's as to what the thought was here or was it a missed holdover from old code.  Perhaps a query to my SE is in order.  

Thank you!!

Network Engineer
Network Engineer
localhost

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was wondering the same thing.

My lab test confirms that the ip pool in the portal settings has precedence over the global vpn ssl Settings, when using tunnel mode. But if I use the web portal to access the internal network, it will use the web portal external ip address as the source IP.

So still not clear to me, when actually the ip pool is used in the global vpn settings.

But what makes me really wonder, why is there no route visible to the ssl.root interface? Shouldn't there be a connected entry in the routing table? get router info routing-table detail doesn't show me the expected entry.

localhost

Got it:

FG01 (root) # get router info kernel
tab=254 vf=0 scope=0 type=1 proto=14 prio=10 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/0->10.23.23.210/32 pref=0.0.0.0 gwy=0.0.0.0 dev=16(ssl.root)
tab=254 vf=0 scope=0 type=1 proto=14 prio=10 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0/0->10.23.23.208/31 pref=0.0.0.0 gwy=0.0.0.0 dev=16(ssl.root)

Only the route to the portal VPN pool is visible, there is no route for the global vpn setting.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you install route ( static ) for the vpn pool with the gateway as ssl.root ?

e.g

show router static

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
localhost

No I didn't:

FG01 (root) # show router static

config router static

edit 2

set gateway 192.168.1.1

set distance 255

set device "port2"

next

edit 3

set dst 10.1.4.0 255.255.255.0

set device "Tunnel4"

next

end

FG01 (root) # get router info routing-table all

Codes: K - kernel, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, B - BGP

O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2

i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area

* - candidate default

S*      0.0.0.0/0 [5/0] via 192.168.1.1, port2

C       1.1.1.1/32 is directly connected, Loopback1

S       10.1.1.0/24 [15/0] is directly connected, Hub Tunnel_1

S       10.1.4.0/24 [10/0] is directly connected, Tunnel4

C       172.16.50.0/30 is directly connected, FG1_1-root0

C       172.16.50.1/32 is directly connected, FG1_1-root0

C       172.16.50.4/30 is directly connected, FG1_2-root0

C       172.16.50.5/32 is directly connected, FG1_2-root0

C       172.16.50.8/30 is directly connected, FG1_3-root0

C       172.16.50.9/32 is directly connected, FG1_3-root0

C       172.16.50.12/30 is directly connected, FG1_4-root0

C       172.16.50.13/32 is directly connected, FG1_4-root0

C       192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, port2

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

you need something like the following;

config router static     edit 20         set dst 10.10.14.0 255.255.255.0         set device "ssl.root"     next

10.10.14.0  would be your sslvpn pool address netwrk

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
localhost

The original question was, why are there two different IP Pools configurable in the SSLVPN settings: One in the global vpn settings and the other one in the sslvpn portal settings. When is this global sslpvn ip-pool actually used?

Meanwhile I found out that in the GUI the ip pool setting is a required field for the portal settings. So it will never user the value configured in the global vpn ssl setting.

In the CLI (#config vpn ssl web portal) the ip-pool setting is optional. And if it is not set, then it will use the global vpn ssl setting (by default: SSLVPN_TUNNEL_ADDR1).

GUI:

CLI: (set ip-pools is not mandatory)

config vpn ssl web portal
    edit "full-access"
        set tunnel-mode enable
        set web-mode enable
        set save-password enable
        set split-tunneling disable
        set heading "Full-Access"
        set page-layout double-column
        set theme crimson
    next

end

My 2nd question was, why I couldn't see a route to this ip-pool and sslvpn interface, even when a sslvpn client is connected. The answer:

It will create the appropriate routes automatically, but the routes are only visible in the Forward Information DB (#get router info kernel).

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The original question was, why are there two different IP Pools configurable in the SSLVPN settings: One in the global vpn settings and the other one in the sslvpn portal settings. When is this global sslpvn ip-pool actually used?

The ip pool cfg in  the specific  pool ovveride any global that should answer the 1st part.

My 2nd question was, why I couldn't see a route to this ip-pool and sslvpn interface, even when a sslvpn client is connected. The answer:

Than you need a route in the route table for the pool regardless, without this the packets will drop from uRPF

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors