Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mictronic
New Contributor II

FortiGate with local DHCP service is not updating local DNS Zone entries

Hello fellows,

I have the following situation:
A FortiGate 61F (FortiOS 7.2.6) with a local DHCP service for the clients in the network and also a local DNS service with a "local.tld" zone. Using the DDNS mechanism, the IP addresses assigned via DHCP should be entered with the host names of the respective computers in the DNS zone.
Unfortunately, this does not work in my case.

I have made the following configuration, which should be sufficient according to the documentation:

config system dhcp server
    edit 1
        set dns-service local
        set ntp-service local
        set domain "local.tld"
        set default-gateway 10.1.1.1
        set netmask 255.255.255.0
        set ddns-update enable
        set ddns-update-override enable
        set ddns-server-ip 10.1.1.1
        set ddns-zone "local.tld"
    next
end

Clients in this subnet are assigned addresses and DNS etc. accordingly.

config system dns-database
    edit "local.tld"
        set domain "local.tld"
        set ttl 21600
     next

In the log I find entries like:
logdesc="DHCP DDNS add query" dhcp_msg="DHCP DDNS Add" ddnsserver=10.1.1.1 ip=10.1.1.217 fqdn="kolab16.local.tld" msg="DHCP server sends a DDNS add query"

But I cannot find an A record in the corresponding DNS zone.

Where am I still missing something?
What have I done wrong?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Mic
Best regards,Mic
4 REPLIES 4
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @Mictronic,

"ddns-update-override" should be used when DNS server is different then DHCP server. Since you are using local DNS database on the FortiGate, I don't think you need to enable that option. For more details, please refer to https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configure-DDNS-update-override-in-FortiGat...

Regards, 

m_rivera
New Contributor

oops... wrong thread.

Mictronic
New Contributor II

Hello @hbac and thank you for your response. I set ddns-update-override disable but anyways that changed nothing. Only the hosts I added manually exist in the zone.

:\

Best regards,
Mic
Best regards,Mic
Mictronic
New Contributor II

Hello fellows,

anyone in here who can confirm, that FortiOS 7.2.6 with local dns zone and local dhcp service can add/update hosts in dns zone by ddns on same device is working?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Mic
Best regards,Mic
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors