Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
neggly
New Contributor

FortiGate Inter-VLAN Routing Issues

I have a Fortigate 60D running 5.2.4 that I am trying to get the FGT to act like a router on a stick paired with a Cisco 2960x switch. However, I am having a very hard time to get the inter-vlan routing to work. Here is my current configuration.

[ul]
  • VLANS 10,30,40,50 are created on both the FGT and Cisco switch. (These show up as connected routes)
  • DHCP is configured for VLANs 40 and 50 (This works)
  • I have an "ALLOW ALL" policy in place to eliminate policies as a problem
  • Switch has a trunk port that allows the VLANs into that trunk
  • Internal interface has no IP address assigned. Only the VLANS have IP addresses[/ul]

I have been looking at this for quite a while and am not sure how to do a router-on-a-stick configuration on a FGT. Do you guys know of a good guide or some helpful tips on something that I may have overlooked?

• 3 Solutions
    Nicholas_Doropoulos
    Contributor

Hello,

Is NAT enabled on the firewall policies that match the relevant traffic?

Also, have you configured a forward domain?

Thanks.

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3

View solution in original post

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3
    Toshi_Esumi

Should be simple enough. You need to have a complete set of policies between all combination of two vlans for both direction, such as

vlan 10 -> 30

30 -> 10

10 -> 40

40 -> 10

and so on... totally (3+2+1)x2=12 policies.

Or if you don't have to limit access between them, you can put all of them in a zone and allow intra-zone traffic. Then you don't need those policies between them.

Adam789
    New Contributor II

Here how can you do it.

1-After creating your VLANs (10,30,40,50) in Cisco switch.

2-turn the port which connect to FGT to Trunk and allow VLANs 1,10,30,40,50 to pass.

3-Create same VLANs (10,30,40,50) in the port of FGT which connect to Cisco switch.

4-Create zone to combine all these VLANs and enable intrazone ( this will allow VLANs to talk to each others)

------Here how can you create zone--------

config system zone

edit "1" set intrazone allow set interface "vlan10" "vlan30" "vlan40" "vlan50" next end

6 REPLIES 6
    Nicholas_Doropoulos
    Contributor

Hello,

Is NAT enabled on the firewall policies that match the relevant traffic?

Also, have you configured a forward domain?

Thanks.

neggly

I have turned NAT off.  I am not sure what a forward domain is.  I did not see that option in the configuration on the VLANs or the interface.

Toshi_Esumi

Should be simple enough. You need to have a complete set of policies between all combination of two vlans for both direction, such as

vlan 10 -> 30

30 -> 10

10 -> 40

40 -> 10

and so on... totally (3+2+1)x2=12 policies.

Or if you don't have to limit access between them, you can put all of them in a zone and allow intra-zone traffic. Then you don't need those policies between them.

neggly

I have attached the config file.

Adam789
    New Contributor II

Here how can you do it.

1-After creating your VLANs (10,30,40,50) in Cisco switch.

2-turn the port which connect to FGT to Trunk and allow VLANs 1,10,30,40,50 to pass.

3-Create same VLANs (10,30,40,50) in the port of FGT which connect to Cisco switch.

4-Create zone to combine all these VLANs and enable intrazone ( this will allow VLANs to talk to each others)

------Here how can you create zone--------

config system zone

edit "1" set intrazone allow set interface "vlan10" "vlan30" "vlan40" "vlan50" next end

neggly
    New Contributor

After having Fortinet and Cisco employees look at the switch and firewall they could not see anything wrong.   The honest solution was to take it from Port 1 on the FGT and put it onto Port 2.  Both of these ports are the same.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors