Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
friedrich
New Contributor II

FortiClient (7.2.0.0644) not connecting since update on kubuntu 23.04: Config routing table failed

I have upgraded kubuntu 22.10 to version 23.04 recently, and since then Forti Client refuses to connect with the error message "Config routing table failed" (was working well before).  An excerpt from the sslvpn.log:

20230424 21:10:49.713 [sslvpn:DEBG] route:380 Tunnel mode: Full tunnel
20230424 21:10:49.713 [sslvpn:DEBG] route:381 Exclusive routing: Disabled
20230424 21:10:49.713 [sslvpn:DEBG] route:434 Can't find dev for IP XXX.XX.XXX.XX (tun)
20230424 21:10:49.713 [sslvpn:EROR] vpn_connection:1335 Config routing table failed

I have already tried reinstallation, also with a different version of the Forticlient (7.0.7.0246 instead of 7.2.0.0644), and I have also tried connecting from a different network - without success.

Has anybody encountered similar problems after upgrading to ubuntu 23.04?

Thanks in advance,

Friedrich

1 Solution
SteveH1
New Contributor II

Here's the script, supplied by @kpa Run before trying to connect. It will loop round until it can bring up the VPN and then finish. It works for me.

#!/bin/bash

echo "Try to connect to the VPN now"
x=99
while [ $x -ne 0 ]
do
  echo "Waiting for VPN connection..."
  sleep 1
  connection=$(nmcli connection show | grep -oP '^vpn\S*')
  x=$?
done

echo "VPN connection $connection was created! Waiting for 'device-reapply'..."
x=99
while [ $x -ne 0 ]
do
  nmcli -f GENERAL.STATE con show $connection 2> /dev/null
  x=${PIPESTATUS[0]}
  sleep 1
  echo "Still waiting..."
done

echo "Device is unmanaged. Setting it to 'up' again..."
nmcli con up $connection 2> /dev/null
echo "Done."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
fianitnz
New Contributor II

SteveH1
New Contributor II

Yes, I am getting exactly the same problem. Using FortiClient 7.0.7 (free version).

minhtl
New Contributor

Hello,

I had the same issue, uninstalling the current Forticlient and installing the version 7.0.8 0292 resolved the issue on my side.

friedrich
New Contributor II

thanks for your comment! I am not very familiar with forticlient - could you please point me to how you installed forticlient version 7.08.0292 - it does not seem to be available as a .deb package.

minhtl

You can get it through a forticloud account.

friedrich
New Contributor II

thanks again for your reply. This is a bit frustrating - on the one hand there is a free download available for the forticlient, but it does not seem to work with Ubuntu 23.04 - and on the other hand there is a version of forticlient that does seem to be compatble with the latest Ubuntu, but it is not available without the a subscription.

danzone

I applied solution from @kpa. See FortiClient cannot configure routing tables on Kali Linux . Simply download this script: SydoxX/forti-fix.sh , launch it before connecting with Forticlient, launch forticlient, connect, and you should be able to connect. (I'm in your same situation: just upgraded from Ubuntu 22.10 to Ubuntu 23.04)

SteveH1
New Contributor II

Here's the script, supplied by @kpa Run before trying to connect. It will loop round until it can bring up the VPN and then finish. It works for me.

#!/bin/bash

echo "Try to connect to the VPN now"
x=99
while [ $x -ne 0 ]
do
  echo "Waiting for VPN connection..."
  sleep 1
  connection=$(nmcli connection show | grep -oP '^vpn\S*')
  x=$?
done

echo "VPN connection $connection was created! Waiting for 'device-reapply'..."
x=99
while [ $x -ne 0 ]
do
  nmcli -f GENERAL.STATE con show $connection 2> /dev/null
  x=${PIPESTATUS[0]}
  sleep 1
  echo "Still waiting..."
done

echo "Device is unmanaged. Setting it to 'up' again..."