Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jessebranum777
New Contributor

Forticlient VPN Free

when I type somethign in the user password text box it erases it almost immediately.

11 REPLIES 11
gfleming
Staff
Staff

This is highly suspicious.... but anyway, your username and password would almost certainly be the same as your domain logon credentials. So not sure why you wouldn't have that?

The only alternative is it would be a local account on the FortiGate firewall which is highly unlikely. And to reset that you would need your  IT Guy.

Cheers,
Graham
jessebranum777
New Contributor

Again only problem is it keep erasing what I type in over and over again. My user name is jesse and the moment I type in je it erases both letters. 

gfleming

I would try installing it from the actual installation media/files.

Cheers,
Graham
Christian_89
Contributor III

I would do a clean install of the client.
You can create a backup of your existing Forticlient and re-import it on your new device.

But if you don't know your PW or username then you have to contact your IT.

jessebranum777

Reinstalling worked

sw2090
Honored Contributor

by default FortiClient does only store the username (If you enabled that in gui). Storing passwords can only be forced by exporting the config and change it by hand because that option does not exist in gui.

So I guess it is not stored in your vpn config. 

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
jessebranum777
New Contributor

I now have the username and password however the VPN says still erroring even with the software copied and reg copied too. I even thought well simply coping the files wouldn't install the necessary files correctly, so I downloaded the newer version of the program and installed it. Everything carries over correctly but it doesn't connect to the VPN even though all the settings are correct. Any ideas on what to check now?

gfleming

Please give more details around "erroring out". Please provide exact error messages.

Also I would suggest doing a proper uninstall, reboot, then install of the software.

Cheers,
Graham
jessebranum777

"VPN connection failed. Please check your configuration, network connection and pre-shared key then retry your connection."

The preshared key and ipsec information is identical. Network same as well. Only item different is program version on laptop is older and my computer is newest. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors