Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
RichSaro
New Contributor

FortiAP not Online

Hello,

Not sure if someone had the same or similar issue we are currently experiencing.

Basically we have a set of FortiGate 300C units in our DC which controls pretty much all our APs (FAP221B & C mainly), across all our sites. Most of these APs work perfectly without any problems, but then we get a handful of them that will not come online they are constantly greyed out.

These APs in question, we can ping, we can browse to the config page, also the AC sees the AP and we can Authorise the AP units, communications both ways is fine. But the APs will not come online at all.

The 300c are currently on the latest firmware, and so are the APs, 300c on 5.2.8 build727, and APs are on 5.4-build0339.

We have also moved the APs onto a different AC, but no luck either, downgraded the firmware also no luck.

Part of me thinks it may be a network issue of some sort on these particular sites, but not sure how to prove it at this time.

Is there a way to run a debug on the AC or AP to see live communication between each other to see what they are doing?

Thanks

Rich

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

It might be a compatibility issue. The FAP 5.4.1 release notes say "FortiOS 5.4.1" in support section. Try downgrading FAPs to 5.2.x.

wanglei_FTNT

1) not sure how many APs your 300C (512 max, normal mode and remote mode combined)  is trying to manage. 

2) please double-check the config on these APs to see whether there is any difference ( especially country code). If country code for the WTP profile doesn't match the one on the APs, they would not be online

3) if both factors are ruled out, you can telnet to FAP and use don; ton to turn on some debugs to see why AP is not online. After that, please use doff;toff to turn off the debug

RichSaro

@Toshi Esumi We got quite a few FAP on 5.4.1 that this controller is managing they seem to connect fine, it's literally a handful of APs that have the issue, they all on the same profile and the same model. Which makes me believe it's more an network issue on site than a Fortinet one. I'll try downgrading it to 5.2 and see if something will kick it back online.

@ wanglei_FTNT

1. This particular controller is managing 232/256 APs at this time, it's running in transparent mode.

2. I believe I have changed this a few months back, as it was set to US rather than UK, but I'll double check this again.

3. Will try that too if all the above fail.

Thanks for your help, will let you know if I get anywhere with this.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors