Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sagvan
Contributor

FortiAP-231F Orange LEDs

This FortiAP-231F randomly was shown as offline on Fortigate. I checked, and found out that it was on with orange LED lights. I tried to reset using the reset hole by inserting a pin for around 10 seconds for multiple times, but weirdly, it did not even reset. I deleted it on Fortigate (still offline), but then it did not even identify it as new device trying to connect.

Trying on different ports on different switches at different locations did not help.

It showed bluetooth LED as purple on a different port.

I am totally confused.

How can I resolve this?

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 15.28.12_c479ea7c.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 15.28.13_cb7776de.jpg

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
11 REPLIES 11
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @sagvan,

I have a different version of FortiAP. If there is insufficient power, all its lights turn orange. Can you try that AP with a 12v DC adapter?

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
ebilcari
Staff
Staff

What is the current status of the LEDs, they all show static orange now? To have more information for the AP status you can connect directly to the console port.

The meaning of the LEDs are shown in the QuickStart guide.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
sagvan

@ebilcari 

Thank you for the reply.

YES, they still are still ORANGE.

How can I access the configuration through the console port? Can I reset it through the web interface?

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
ebilcari

If you don't get any output from the console port, you may need to proceed with RMA, I would suggest to open a support ticket.

- Emirjon
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
sagvan
Contributor

@ebilcari @ozkanaltas 

I tried 12v DC adapter as well. The only difference was the bluetooth LED was blue this time, and the rest were ORANGE.

The physical reset doesn't work at all. 

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @sagvan ,

Can you establish a connection to FortiAP with Bluetooth? If you say yes, can you try to connect with Fortiexplorer? 

Fortiexplorer is a mobile phone application for managing Fortinet products. You can download this app from the AppStore. 

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
sagvan

@ozkanaltas 

Thank you for the reply!

How does this app work? I installed it and it can't find anything. It says something like there has to be a change made on the Fortigate before I can use the bluetooth.

Sagvan Saleem
Sagvan Saleem
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @sagvan ,

If FortiAP's Bluetooth is working without a problem, Fortiexplorer can find it without having to do anything.

What is your DC adapter spec?

Also, you can check your switch POE budget on its datasheet. If you use FortiSwitch you can see POE status with this command.

diagnose switch poe status <PORT_NAME>

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiSwitch/Troubleshooting-Tip-Diagnosing-a-PoE-fault-on-a-FortiS...

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Looks like a problem with the power supply.

The FAP 231F is rated at 17W, so the PoE switch needs to support 802.3at ("PoE+"). This will deliver up to 25.5 W, whereas a regular "PoE" port will only support up to 12.95W.

Even trying with an external power supply, you might incidentally have used one which cannot deliver at least 1.5 A.

Or, and that is equally as likely, the cable to the FAP is the culprit (resp. the plugs). I'd exchange it for testing.

Also, on very long data cables there is a voltage drop which must not be too high.

Finally, for testing the socket, please connect to the other RJ45 port. Assuming you don't use the USB port functionality.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors