Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Derek_Tom
New Contributor

Firmware update error: File is not an update file

Hello all, I am trying to update the firmware of my old Fortigate 200A to the latest version. Currently running Fortigate-200A 2.80,build359,050210. Tried updating multiple times via the GUI with these firmware image files (confirmed checksums)... FGT_200-v280-build184-FORTINET.out FGT_200-v280-build219-FORTINET.out FGT_200-v280-build250-FORTINET.out Each time I try after 30 seconds or so I get this error: Error File is not an update file. Any suggestions? The aim is to eventually get up to the latest v4.0MR3. Thanks, Derek
23 REPLIES 23
Derek_Tom

Thank you, Bob, Ede, and Fullmoon for your valuable feedback. I have successfully loaded v4.0 MR3 on the 200A using the CLI/TFTP server/console cable method. I followed the instructions on http://freecomputerconsultant.com/blog/fortinet-fortigate-firewall-firmware-failure-fiasco/ and used TftpServer for Mac for the TFTP server. TftpServer for Mac http://download.cnet.com/TftpServer/3000-2648_4-35651.html I used Hyperterminal on a PC connected to the firewall (CONSOLE port) via a console cable with these settings: 8 bits no parity 1 stop bit 9600 baud (the FortiGate-300 uses 115,000 baud) Flow Control = None Here' s the output in Hyperterminal:
Ver:03006000
 Serial number:FG200A2105450733
 RAM activation
 Total RAM: 512MB
 Enabling cache...Done.
 Scanning PCI bus...Done.
 Allocating PCI resources...Done.
 Enabling PCI resources...Done.
 Zeroing IRQ settings...Done.
 Verifying PIRQ tables...Done.
 Disabling local APIC...Done.
 Boot up, boot device capacity: 61MB.
 Press any key to display configuration menu...
 :  Get firmware image from TFTP server.
 :  Format boot device.
 :  Boot with backup firmware and set as default.
 :  Configuration and information.
 :  Quit menu and continue to boot with default firmware.
 :  Display this list of options.

Enter G,F,B,C,Q,or H:

Reading boot image 1149479 bytes.
 üFG200A (13:37-07.09.2004)
 RAM activation
 Enabling cache...Done.
 Scanning PCI bus...Done.

FG200A (13:37-07.09.2004)
 RAM activation
 Enabling cache...Done.
 Scanning PCI bus...Done.

Initializing firewall...
 System is started.

Fortigate-200A login: FG200A (13:37-07.09.2004)
 RAM activation
 Enabling cache...Done.
 Scanning PCI bus...Done.
 :  Get firmware image from TFTP server.
 :  Format boot device.
 :  Boot with backup firmware and set as default.
 :  Configuration and information.
 :  Quit menu and continue to boot with default firmware.
 :  Display this list of options.

Enter G,F,B,C,Q,or H:

Enter TFTP server address [192.168.1.168]: 192.168.1.201
 Enter local address [192.168.1.188]:
 Enter firmware image file name [image.out]: FGT_200A-v400-build0441-FORTINET.out

MAC:00090F034036
 #################
 Total 18813638 bytes data downloaded.
 Verifying the integrity of the firmware image.

Total 28000kB unzipped.
 Save as Default firmware/Backup firmware/Run image without saving:[D/B/R]?
 Save as Default firmware/Backup firmware/Run image without saving:[D/B/R]?
 Programming the boot device now.
 Reading boot image 1368789 bytes.
 Initializing firewall...
 System is started.
 The config file may contain errors,
 Please see details by the command ' diagnose debug config-error-log read' 

FG200A2105450733 login: admin
 Password:
 Welcome !

Hope this is helpful for others. Thanks again especially to Bob, Ede, and jmac.
ede_pfau

oops, sorry, posted waay to late...you got it right the first time, congrats! Do the " exec formatlogdisk" as the disk layout has changed from 2.80 to 4.00. Could otherwise lead to hard-to-pinpoint errors in the future (concerning logs etc.). And it had to be 4.00MR3, right? There is a broad consensus that 4.3 at the moment is not stable enough as it brought along a lot of changes from 4.2. One is best advised to wait for 4.3.1 at least. 4.2.7 on the contrary looks quite stable and working well. Get a picture for yourself from postings on this forum.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Derek_Tom

Ede, well thank you so much for your follow-up posts that are full of valuable info and advice. Will have to copy and keep all that info for future reference. I have run ' exec formatlogdisk' so thanks again for that tip! Aiya, really a bummer I installed the latest but not most stable firmware! Well it' s got to be better than v2.80. Actually I' m setting this old 200A to temporarily swap in for my existing FortiWifi 80CM that I am struggling to figure out what is wrong. I posted earlier about it but got no responses. If you are free and don' t mind here' s that post: http://support.fortinet.com/forum/tm.asp?m=73475&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&language=&tmode=&smode=&s=#73475 Thanks again!
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I don' t think that you need to download the image by serial (Xmodem) as the FGT itself is still running, right? Get on the CLI (via ssh or console port/serial) and type " exec restore ?" to see the options. All FGTs around me are on v4.00 plus now so I can' t tell what you' ll see in v2.80. But it should look like you could " exe restore image [ftp|tftp|usb]" . OK maybe USB is not an option with your FGT. The download would then be via Ethernet which is way faster and more secure. And yes, you can use the same PC for the serial console connection and the TFTP server. I always do. If all fails there is a boot menu that you can enter while rebooting. You can enter an IP address for the FGT and download an image. But I' d try the CLI first. If you TFTP to the FGT note that you can only use a certain port to connect. In general this would be port1/internal. Not all ports are scanned for a connection attempt. Then, " exec factoryreset" will put in default config values - including the internal IP which is set to 192.168.1.99. You can change that easily via the console connection. Secondly, " exec formatlogdisk" would be a good idea if you skip several releases.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors