Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
andri
New Contributor

Diagnose hardware nic return error fortigate 3040B

I have 2 fortigate ports configure as active-standby. got problem connecting to port19&20 at fortigate firewall 2. Other ports are working fine. I try to plug the fiber to Firewall 1 Port 19&20, the link is working fine. When I plug the fiber to Firewall 2 port 19&20, the link status showing down but but at the other end connect to switch, the link is up. I try to troubleshoot the link with commands below. 1. diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic NHCSSFFW01 # diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic The following NICs are available: mgmt1 mgmt2 port1 port10 port11 port12 port13 port14 port15 port16 port17 port18 port19 port20 port2 port3 port4 port5 port6 port7 port8 port9 NHCSSFFW02 # diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic The following NICs are available: mgmt1 mgmt2 port1 port10 port11 port12 port13 port14 port15 port16 port17 port18 port2 port3 port4 port5 port6 port7 port8 port9 Note: Firewall 2 doesn’t detect port19 and Port20 NHCSSFFW02 # diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic port20 Command fail. Return code -27 2. Diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic <port> NHCSSFFW02 # diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic port19 Command fail. Return code -27 Note: Firewall 2 diagnose hardware deviceinfo nic command return fail for port19 and Port20 3. Check port Mac address NHCSSFFW02/FG3K1B3I12700102 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Name port18 (00:09:0F:9F:F2:35) Name port19 (00:00:00:00:00:00) Name port10 (00:09:0F:9F:F2:29) NHCSSFFW01/FG3K1B3I12700127 Name port10 (00:09:0F:9F:F4:4F) Name port18 (00:09:0F:9F:F4:5B) Name port19 (00:09:0F:A8:C2:EC) Note: mac address for Port 19&20 at Firewall 2 is 00:00:00:00:00:00. Please advise if you ever encountered the same problem before. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I would do the following: 1. break up the cluster, remove the passive FGT. 2. reboot this FGT in the lab and check again If the NICs still are not detected open a ticket for HW exchange Support will likely ask you to load a HW diagnostic firmware (so you have to isolate the FGT in question anyway). Have you checked the SFPs? Are they reliable? Support will probably stop diagnosing if they are not original Fortinet transceivers.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
andri
New Contributor

Hi ede, Thank you for your response. the SFPs are fortinet original tranceivers. I try to get the tranceiver from Firewall1 (verified working tranceiver) and plug to Firewall 2 also not solve the problem. I will follow your suggestion to break up the cluster and reboot the fortigate and see whether it solve the issue. Thanks.
ORIGINAL: ede_pfau I would do the following: 1. break up the cluster, remove the passive FGT. 2. reboot this FGT in the lab and check again If the NICs still are not detected open a ticket for HW exchange Support will likely ask you to load a HW diagnostic firmware (so you have to isolate the FGT in question anyway). Have you checked the SFPs? Are they reliable? Support will probably stop diagnosing if they are not original Fortinet transceivers.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Sounds like your on the right path and TAC is going to have to be called. You can use cisco transceiver in the fortigate btw. I also had the same problem as you ( QC ) and we ended up shipping the unit backs. I also had problems with power-suuply fan status light not lit and the fan blowing extremely fast. NOTE: I would also test all other un-used ports to ensure they are functioning.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors