Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
gregnone
New Contributor

DUAL WAN Preference based on internal IP

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I can' t figure out if this is possible. If it is which functionality it uses. I have 2 WAN connections: WAN 1: FAST UPLOAD WAN 2: FAST DOWNLOAD Is there a way to enable failover, as well as prioritize server traffic to use WAN 1, and workstation traffic to use WAN2. Basically want I' m looking for, if both WANs are up: WAN1, only server traffic uses it (unless it hits some max and then uses WAN2) WAN2, only workstation traffic uses it (unless it hits some max and then use WAN1) If either WAN fails, all traffic is routed to the other WAN (with priority for server traffic) Thanks Greg
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

That would be possible only if Policy Routes were made to be state aware, like regular routes are aware of the state of the target interface by way of DGD. But to my best knowledge this is not the case currently. This means that Policy Routing and failover are mutually exclusive. I hope someone proves me wrong here -

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
amendez
New Contributor

Maybe you can use ECMP with Spillover and then, tell to ECMP to use WAN2 until is filled up and then use WAN2 if needed more traffic. And for the servers you must use policy route to always go through WAN1, the downside here is, if WAN1 fail the servers going to be offline.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors