Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
michal1
New Contributor

DHCP address reservation only from pool

Why Fortigate devices has this limitation? In many cases I'd like to have static configuration on some hosts and also have address reservation for them (in that case outside the dhcp range) just for documentation purpose.

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_McMullan

Could you elaborate on what you mean?

What prevents you from manually creating a reservation using the host's MAC address?

Regards, Chris McMullan Fortinet Ottawa

michal1

In one of my networks I have about 100 users, 10-15 printers and a few servers. Printers are statically addressed in IP range: 10.0.0.20-10.0.0.49. I don't have all IP's perfectly aligned in that range, so to maintain this range on Fortigate is extremely hard. I had to add numerous exclusions or add many ranges which is limited. Very awkward design, I don't understand why DHCP server cannot reserve any address that is possible on interface. It's common in other vendor devices.

michal1
New Contributor

In 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I think you need to explore the cli but the  DHCP resevation method is actually good and much better now in 5.2x since all is under  the  dhcp server.

config system dhcp server     edit 88         set dns-service default         set default-gateway 10.199.199.1         set netmask 255.255.255.0         set interface "transparent0"             config ip-range                 edit 1                     set start-ip 10.199.199.10                     set end-ip 10.199.199.20                 next             end             config reserved-address                 edit 1                     set ip 10.199.199.11                     set mac ba:e8:53:11:22:10                     set description "virthstmacosx3"                 next             end     next end

Your default action is reseved with block and assigned as an options. See if this is helpful for you.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
FredMB
New Contributor

I know this post is quit old now but I'm facing the same problem : reservations are mixed with dynamic IP attribution and it's really annoying.

On all systems I used (Windows DHCP, Netgear, Linksys, ...) we can reserve an IP outside of the DHCP range which is a good thing.

For example, I reserve addresses in range 10.1.1.20 to 10.1.1.30 for printers and laptops received dynamic IP from range 10.1.1.100 to 10.1.1.199. 

binaryanomaly

I miss that capability, too. Many products allow ip address reservation outside DHCP ranges. Even open source solutions such as OPNsense and VyOS can do that.

Why is this (still) not possible with Fortinet devices?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors