Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ConfusedUser
New Contributor II

Connecting to FortiClient VPN results in no internet

Hey there, first-time poster. Apologies, I'm not very familiar with networking or FortiClient, please for give any misunderstandings.

I'm on Windows 10, trying to use the FortiClient VPN to connect to an IPsec VPN with a pre-shared key. Have tried this over both Wifi and Ethernet.

I'm able to connect to the VPN, but whenever I connect, I notice that my internet connection changes from "Connected, secured", to "Connected, no internet", and I entirely lose my ability to use internet access when connected to the VPN.

Please let me know if there's any more information I could provide, or what steps to take next.

Note: About 6 months ago, this process was working fine. In that time, I had moved my modem to a different outlet in my house, and had re-configured which frequency my Wifi was on. However, I can't say conclusively if that caused this issue. I've factory reset my modem and moved it back to the original outlet, but still no luck.

11 REPLIES 11
spoojary
Staff
Staff

Can you confirm that there is a firewall policy in place ?

Siddhanth Poojary
ConfusedUser

Hi! I've confirmed that it's not the firewall, have tried disabling firewall and running the VPN, with the same result.

dbu
Staff
Staff

Hi @ConfusedUser ,
You can isolate further and find out if it is routing or DNS issue .

Please perform :

nslookup www.google.com

If it resolves the DNS than : tracert www.google.com

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
ConfusedUser
New Contributor II

Hello! Running your first command "nslookup www.google.com" resulted in "UnKnown can't find www.google.com: No response from server".

dbu

It looks like not able to resolve the DNS.
Verify your IP configuration with: ipconfig /all.  
Compare with what the VPN should assign.

Can you ping your default gateway ? 
If you can ping your gateway than try to ping 8.8.8.8. 

Regards!
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible for others.
ConfusedUser
New Contributor II

When running ipconfig /all, I can see that my regular internet connection is living under my "Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi", with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1.

The FortiClient VPN is appearing under Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2, as "Fortinet Virtual Ethernet Adapter (NDIS 6.30)", with a default gateway of 192.168.33.2.

When connected to the VPN, the IP address that pops up is 192.168.33.1.

When pinging both the 0.1 and the 33.2, both result in "Request timed out" on all 4 packages.

Note: On "Ethernet adapter Ethernet" lives what seems to be a stored connection to my router, also using hitonhub.com. This adapter does not currently have anything plugged in.

dbu

Please share output from : route print
It would be good disconnecting what is not necessary to simplify the situation. 

Regards!
ConfusedUser
New Contributor II

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

dbu

I see you two default routes for the VPN . 
Try delete the second route and  test again :

capture.png

Route commands:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/route_ws2008

Regards!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors