Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CodeTron
New Contributor III

Connect two fortigates via LAN connection at the same site

Hi,

I'm wondering what is the best way to connect two Fortigates via LAN connection. both boxes are in the same building

The purpose is to allow access of resources for example (Printers VLAN) or any other resource

I have configured a dedicated port for the link on both Fortigates and assigned an IP of 10.10.90.2 and 3 for both ends

I can ping from both, I have created a static route on both to route the traffic to the gateway address on both.

I can not ping the resources from workstations on both ends and I do not have internet connectivity.

I tried to create policies on both ends to allow the traffic with no luck

any idea how this can be accomplished

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Quint021
Staff
Staff

Hello @CodeTron,

It would be best to capture a debug flow on both fortigates to determine how the packets are being processed concerning routing and policy information between the source and destination resources.

Reference: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Troubleshooting-Tip-First-steps-to-troubleshoot-connecti...

Kind Regards,

saleha
Staff
Staff

Hi Code Tron,

Thank you for reaching out. From what you mentioned it sounds like you followed proper steps to connect the 2 fortigates together. I am not sure about routing you have created but you will have at least one connected route for the subnet 10.10.90.x depending one the subnet mask you have used on the port you used to connect the 2 firewalls together. Firewall policies follow routes so if traffic does not match a policy that means routing needs to be looked at. In general these type of deployments require setting up a route to the remote subnets you are trying to reach from one side to another. Ex: FGTA trying to reach subnet 192.168.1.x for a printer vlan behind FGTB then a static route should be created where destnation is that subnet and gateway would be 10.10.90.3 - assuming FGTB port has the 10.3 ip - and so on. If you have all your subnets under a summary subnet lets say 192.168.0.0/16 for example then you can use that supernet subnet as your destination on the static route. Once you make sure this is correct then check the firewall policies make sure source and destination interfaces and addresses are correct, services are allowed and for the purpose of monitoring I recommend to enable logging for "all sessions".

Thank you,

saleha

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors