Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
solo1
New Contributor III

SSL encrypted syslog from Fortigate 40F to Syslog Server gives error: Unknown CA

Certificate

I am trying to send syslog from my Fortigate 40F firewall to a Syslog Server with SSL encryption but I get error "Unknown CA".

Certificate Generation

I have generated a root certificate and a server certificate following the guide found here: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Send-Syslog-over-TLS-to-a-rsyslog-server/t...

xca.png

I uploaded the certificates to Fortigate Firewall Certificates:

certificates.png

Then I have the following settings on my Firewall:

acdc-fortigate # config log syslogd settingacdc-fortigate (setting) # show
config log syslogd setting
    set status enable
    set server "34.10.1.5"
    set mode reliable
    set port 6514
    set enc-algorithm high
    set certificate "syslog-servercert"
end

On my collector server where I run LimaCharlie Adapter I get the following error:

Jul 09 10:57:30 dev-collector[32395]: FLO Jul 9 10:57:30: last_ack=Jul 9 10:54:10 last_pressure=Jul 9 10:54:10
Jul 09 10:57:33 dev-collector[32395]: DBG Jul 9 10:57:33: handling new connection from 38.10.23.18:49874
Jul 09 10:57:33 dev-collector[32395]: WRN Jul 9 10:57:33: conn.Read(): remote error: tls: unknown certificate authority
Jul 09 10:57:33 dev-collector[32395]: DBG Jul 9 10:57:33: connection from 38.10.23.18:49874 leaving

This is confirmed from Wireshark TC dump on server:

• TLSv1.2 73 Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Unknown CA)

wireshark.png

Summary

My suggestion is that there is something wrong with the certificate I have generated by following the tutorial https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.4/administration-guide/320832/creating-certificates...

Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix this issue?

7 REPLIES 7
smaruvala
Staff
Staff

Hi,

- What is the SNI value which the firewall is sending the client hello packet?

- What is the server cert which you are getting as per the server hello and the CA which signed the certificate?

You may have to expand the capture and show the details of the client hello and certificate.

Regards,

Shiva

solo1
New Contributor III

What is the SNI value which the firewall is sending the client hello packet?

There is no SNI value ssl.handshake.extensions_server_name in the client hello.

client hello.png

What is the server cert which you are getting as per the server hello and the CA which signed the certificate?

From Server Hello I see that I get the 'ACD_FGT' certificate.

server hello.png

smaruvala

Hi,

Can you please expand the issuer field as well?

Regards,

Shiva

solo1
New Contributor III

Issuer field from server hello

issuer.png

smaruvala

Hi, 

Is A_CA a intermidiate CA? I can see that there is a difference in common name. You can export the packet bytes of the capture and save it is a crt file and open it and verify the certificate. Please check if "X509v3 Basic Constraints:" Marked as "CA:TRUE"

Regards,

Shiva

pminarik

The screenshot is confusing.

rdnSequence says the issuer's CN is "A_CA"
the individual entry shows the CN is "ADVANIACDC_CA"

Can you download that cert and confirm which is it? (it can't be both, that's too weird).

Right-click the "Certificate [truncated]" line -> Export Packet bytes -> save this somewhere as a file with a .cer extension, then open and inspect it as usual.

[ corrections always welcome ]
binolmi
New Contributor

the same as UDP syslog in that logstash/syslog sees it as one big line for numerous log entries. I have logstash writing it to a log file and I do see data so its being encrypted, but if you tail just one line of the log file, it runs

https://xender.vip/
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors