Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Robert_Cerny
New Contributor II

Captive portal - WINS server

Hi folks, any idea how to set up WINS server in case of captive portal? I did set up Captive portal VPN in our offices and it' s huge improvement in case of speed, however our users are confused from the need of using IP addresses to connect to internal servers... Thanks Robert
FG-100C FG-100A FW-50B FG-60C
3 REPLIES 3
JSN
New Contributor

Are you trying to use win server 2008 r2 to build your WINS server? Wins server are supported in windows 2008 but " Global Names" in DNS are the prefered " Single Label" resolution method.
Robert_Cerny
New Contributor II

Hmm, sorry it looks like I was specific enough, you didn' t get it. I have Win2008k server on my office network and I use FortiAP 220B to connect to it via Captive portal. The problem is that there is not a way how to set WINS server in this case and my users are forced to use IP addresses to connect to internal server
JSN
New Contributor

My mistake, sorry about that. how about DHCP offer? configure DHCP server to mention your office WINS server IP address. From Fortigate GUI, System -> Network -> DHCP server -> advanced -> WINS Server
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors