Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
escubi
New Contributor

Cannot read log files , help

Hi all ¡¡

I would like to download log files using CLI. I use the command : #execute backup disk log tftp 10.X.X.X event

When I try to open this files with notepad++ or notepad/word, I can't read correctly it. There are a lot of special Characters. I hace tried to rename it to .txt and .cvs (it has not format the file).

How can I read it please? Maybe I need an special viewer?

Regards ¡¡¡

6 REPLIES 6
escubi
New Contributor

Please. Can you help me?

gradius85
New Contributor III

what happens when you backup to usb?

absolute_sora
New Contributor

Hello,

I do use Fortigate90D and also did roll backup to FTP server. 

Log successfully sent to FTP server however, when I open any file, I get special character and cannot open just as escubi's issue. 

I have researched and found this article but this looks like applicable to Forti Analyzer. 

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD35404

Has anyone encountered this issue? How can we open the backed up logs from Fortigate?

My FortiOS is V6.04

Regards,

absolute_sora

Actually I have found the solution. 

You need to use third party tool to read lz4 file. 

Please refer to this link:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD40716

Once I have run this tool, it is now readable!

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

micycle

absolute_sora wrote:

Actually I have found the solution. 

You need to use third party tool to read lz4 file. 

Please refer to this link:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD40716

Once I have run this tool, it is now readable!

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

When I tried to run this tool with my logs I have received the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564) at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.jarinjarloader.JarRsrcLoader.main(JarRsrcLoader.java:58) Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/compress/archivers/tar/TarArchiveInputStream at lz4_reader_main.main(lz4_reader_main.java:10) ... 5 more Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveInputStream at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:435) at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:589) at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522) ... 6 more

How can this be solved?

setdiary

Hello. A similar error occurred for me.

I have resolved this problem by using JDK version 8.

Hopefully this helps.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors