Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
comas17
New Contributor

Cannot ping VLAN interface ip

Hi all I have a fortigate 60D (firmware 5.2.1) My internal interface is configured as 192.168.20.252 (internal LAN is 192.168.20.0/24). Everything is working correctly Now I need to connect to the FGT also out internal voip lan (to create a site-to-site vpn with a branch office). I've created a VLAN connected to the internal interface, configured as 192.168.1.252 I was trying to ping this new address using my PC (ip 192.168.1.247) connected directly to FGT (another internal port) but it does not work What am I doing wrong ? Is there something else to configure ? Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi,

2 remarks:

1. Stay away from 192.168.1.x ! This subnet is used in the default config on a FGT (so check this), and EVERYWHERE else! Just avoid 192.168.[1-3].x and you spare yourself a lot of trouble.

2. You have to put your PC's network adapter into "tagged VLAN" mode in order to reach the VLAN port on the FGT. That's what all the VLAN stuff is about - that you cannot reach it from other networks on the same wire.

I doubt that you have put your PC into that VLAN (or even that it's capable of doing so). In order to test, you can connect a VLAN capable switch with 2 ports: one for the PC (untagged, default VLAN) and one facing the FGT port which carries the VLAN (tagged, same VLAN ID). Then you can ping it.

I'd recommend reading up on VLANs, VLAN types and the way FortiOS implements it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
comas17

Hi ede_pfau

unfortunately our internal voip lan (switchboard and about 30 telephones) is already running and it's not possible to change ip addresses (192.168.1.x/24)

Is it possible to configure out FGT to work with it ?

Thank you

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Too bad, too late...

Yes it is possible to work with it. Just check that the default assignment of 192.168.1.0/24 is not configured anymore on your FGT. Check "System > Network > Interfaces" and "System > Network > DHCP".

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors