Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Magster
New Contributor II

BGP Peering - My Fortigate - ISP

Hello!

I hope someone can help point me in the right direction here;

I am trying to get BGP-peering between my Fortigate and my ISP's Routers working. I have gotten AS Number, Password, IP-adresses, VLANS etc to use from my ISP and they have configured their end. 

I am all new to this, so please bear with me and I hope this makes sense:

Fortiswitches are in Active - Active with one BGP peer connected each.

BGP-PE1 (VLAN: 110 - IP: 100.10.10.9/30) - Connected on FSW-A (Port 25) (Allowed VLANs All)
BGP-PE2 (VLAN: 120 - IP: 100.10.10.19/30)- Connected on FSW-B (Port 25) (Allowed VLANs All)

Port 35 on FSW A, and Port 36 on FSW B are bundled in a 802.3ad Aggregate interface (Lets call this interface FortiLink)

Under this interface I have created two VLAN's:

BGP-PE1 (Tag: 110) (100.10.10.10/30)
BGP-PE2 (Tag: 120) (100.10.10.20/30)

Theese VLANS are dedicated to "VDOM-A"

In VDOM-A i have the following BGP Config:

I have an Local AS number (f.example 50501)
Under Neighbors I have set the correct ip and Remote AS:
IP: 100.10.10.9 - Remote AS: 5001 (Update Source: BGP-PE1)
IP: 100.10.10.19 - Remote AS: 5001 (Update Source: BGP-PE2)

I have not gotten a Router ID to use, so I have left that field blank.

The password is also correct according to my ISP.

Under Routing monitor i see the state fluctuating between Active and Connecting all the the time, but never established.

What is the problem here? If you need more info about the config please say so :) (The IP's and AS numbers are just examples)

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Toshi_Esumi

I don't know exactly what that means since I haven't used (didn't need to use) this debug so far. But my guess is the peer router is not responding to your connection request at TCP 179. I think it's time to contact your ISP and troubleshoot with them.
The normal sequence is described at @Yurisk's blog.
https://yurisk.info/2010/03/26/fortigate-bgp-configure-and-debug/

Toshi

Richie_C
Staff
Staff

Could you supply the following commands:

get router info routing-table all
get router info bgp sum
get router info bgp networks
Take a backup before making any changes
Magster
New Contributor II

Thank you everyone for the answers and pointers in this post.

I got in touch with my ISP and they did some troubleshooting and on their side they could see authentication failed in their logs. Which meant there was a typo in the PSK i had set on the BGP setup, we fixed that and the BGP peers are now established. 

Not sure why I could not see the authentication failed in the debugs done in the Fortigate cli, that could have pointed me in the right directon aswell. 

But thanks again for all the answers, this issue is now resolved. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors